+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CANADA or AUSTRALIA?

vijai

Star Member
May 11, 2012
HI :-\
I m from chennai, India,done my B.tech IT(2011),69% overall and I would like to do my master (in CS or IT)in abroad (especially in canada or ausralia).so I took Ielts but i scored 6 band 0verall(R 5.5 L 6.5 W 6 S 5.5 ). give me ur concerns,whether i have to take ielts again or can apply with this score.

and i have searched about australia for study permit and PR process: :(

1,they allowed 2 years after my completion of my masters(must be enrolled in 2 years course)
2,should score ielts 7 band overall with 7 in each
3,a valid sponsor from company and some points for course study,univ location(totally 120 points requied to get PR).
4.they allowed to work part time on the day of arrival itself(20 hrs per week). FOr canada it is not allowe d for atleast 6 months right!
5. they offers MS.IT for 6 band (in world ranked univ like swineburne univ,Deakin univ).

NOW my question is,

1,Whether Ielts is required to apply for PR in Canada? how much they need?
2,I know that work permit is 3 years for those who studied master.but do they required any job offer for that study permit? because aus needs job offer for work permit(sorry if i wrong).
3,what is average living expenses for a month(room rent per month,food,other bills), P.S I m very simple guy.
4,wat are job prospects after completing masters there?(when compared to australia)
5,there is no deadlines for australian univ,but canada hav deadlines.so can I apply now for jan'2013 admission.
6.when is deadline for JAN'2013. ???

And Which is better Australia or Canada by this comparison? HELP me dudes, I know my ilets is low...so have to retake but simultaneously i have to decide which is better..! So please help me guys(champions)..

YO may think..y this guy asked like this..my concern is one and only post study work permit and PR. please guys throw some lights on my concern and need ur advice..

Thanks in advance :)

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Dear Vijai,

Following are some points which you might find helpful.

Pros and cons of Australia

1. Very nice country and very friendly people.
2. Weather is way better than Canada. In case you like extreme cold then Canada is for you.
3. Earning potential is better than Canada.
4. International studies are more readily acceptable by employers. Way easy to get job in Australia as compared to Canada.
5. House prices are mad high in Australia :( . Renting is almost same as Canada as rent is shared by couple of people.
6. PR status is hard to get and most people fail to get it (now days ).

Pros and cons of Canada

1. Very beautiful landscape as compared to Australia. In case you love beaches, go to Australia for sure.
2. Skills not readily acceptable by employers and most require Canadian experience.
3. Wages are lower as compared to Australia.
4. Proximity to United States, in case you would like to work in US after your residency.
5. Easy to get PR status and work experience in field of study not required in some of the provinces.

I would suggest you to apply for Canadian student visa, you can have PR status after studies with ease as compared to Australia.

tiger007

Champion Member
vijai said:
And Which is better Australia or Canada by this comparison? HELP me dudes, I know my ilets is low...so have to retake but simultaneously i have to decide which is better..! So please help me guys(champions)..

YO may think..y this guy asked like this..my concern is one and only post study permit and PR. please guys throw some lights on my concern and need ur advice..

Thanks in advance :)
Hi,

Read my previous post on comparison between Canada and Australia.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/canada-vs-australia-t95771.0.html;msg1268966#msg1268966

vijai

Star Member
May 11, 2012
@ harry_aussie and tiger007

Thank you guys..

Wat do you think about my IELTS :eek:...can I move further without taking ielts through consultancy..they said ,they can get admission from the univ for masters.. but i dont believe..so wat is chances for Visa for this kind of band score. :'(

i did my b.tech in IT (69%) overall with 3 backlogs... ???

tiger007

Champion Member
vijai said:
@ harry_aussie and tiger007

Thank you guys..

Wat do you think about my IELTS :eek:...can I move further without taking ielts through consultancy..they said ,they can get admission from the univ for masters.. but i dont believe..so wat is chances for Visa for this kind of band score. :'(

i did my b.tech in IT (69%) overall with 3 backlogs... ???
Hi,

Master degrees at Universities and most PG cert/diploma courses in colleges require minimum overall IELTS score of 6.5 (with no bands less than 6).Many top level universities may have higher IELTS requirement ( 7 or even 7.5!). It's an important part for getting admission for international students. Higher IELTS score definitely makes your overall profile stronger, when applying for visa. Although good academic marks, admission to a relevant courses, strong finances play major roles in getting the student visa.You can take admission to some colleges, which may accept your lower IELTS score of 6 overall like Niagara college and Lambton college, but I doubt if you will find any relevant 2 years PG course in CS/IT(related to your B.Tech). Best bet, will be too reappear for IELTS and score atleast 6.5 overall (with no bands less than 6), and then apply for admission to Universities for Master's programmes. Admissions to Canadian Universities are very competitive (unlike Australia), and they usually need IELTS score of 6.5-7, 60-70% min. in graduation, appropriate work ex / extra academic achievements (if any) and may or may not require GRE score depending upon the University. You can search for appropriate courses by visiting the individual websites of all recognized Canadian colleges/Universities. here's the list: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/participants.asp

IELTS for PR is required at later stage, and as per current rules you don't need it, if you are working in a skilled job. Getting PR ..you have along way to go. You need to complete preferably a 2 years course, apply for and get a 3 years post grad work permit, find an appropriate job...and work anywhere between 0-12 months... and then only be eligible to apply for PR under Federal Canadian Experience class (CEC) or host of provincial nominee programmes (PNPs). As per current rules, Some provinces like Ontario and Sask. allow Master passed students of their Universities to apply for their respective PNPs and then PR without a job offer. To know more about all the PNPs and CEC options available for international students in Canada, check the offical websites of each programme. To see the list, check my previous post:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/various-immigration-programmes-for-international-students-in-canada-t100908.0.html

Yes, you can apply easily now for Jan 2013 intake. Score higher in IELTS, and start searching for appropriate programmes as per your profile/requirements. Check individual University/college websites for deadlines. start contacting the departments and enquire about your eligibility if you have any doubts.

Anywhere between 600-1,200 C$ per month is required for overall living expenses. In my personal opinion, atleast 800-850C$/month is required to live comfortably.

Hope it answers all your queries.

Best of luck.

***To know more, you may consult other sources too.

vijai

Star Member
May 11, 2012
shall I take English language course there? :-\ for overcoming refusal and onemore thing i hav to ask that, I have been rejected before by US for MS(cs) 3 times.Will it affect my canada visa anyway?

pls reply for this tiger007

thanks in advance

ultra99

Jun 25, 2011
tiger007 said:
Anywhere between 600-1,200 C$ per month is required for overall living expenses. In my personal opinion, atleast 800-850C$/month is required to live comfortably.

Hope it answers all your queries.

Best of luck.

***To know more, you may consult other sources too.
Is that if you live alone or wife + baby?

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
No way with wife and baby.

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Dear Tiger,

I personally like your posts as they are very informative and to the point. +1 for you sir.

tiger007

Champion Member
vijai said:
shall I take English language course there? :-\ for overcoming refusal and onemore thing i hav to ask that, I have been rejected before by US for MS(cs) 3 times.Will it affect my canada visa anyway?

pls reply for this tiger007

thanks in advance
Hi,

Yeah..it would be very good, if you enter a Univ. ESL prep course. It would definitely be an advantage and you can hence gain admission to the university even with present IELTS score (* conditions apply, and depends on the Universities, again you will need to contact them individually).

Getting rejected by U.S, for M.S should not be a concern for you (or anyone) as long as you have done nothing illegal. Canada is a great sovereign nation, and takes it's visa issuing decisions independently. Besides, if you have no cancellation stamp on your passport..then there is no need to even mention this unnecessarily.

Best of luck

***This is purely my personal opinion, and you should consult other sources too.

vijai

Star Member
May 11, 2012
@ tiger007,

If I m applying student visa with ESL & masters..will it affect my approval..Because of lower band(6 overall) ?
please clarify on this too ...

tiger007

Champion Member
vijai said:
@ tiger007,

If I m applying student visa with ESL & masters..will it affect my approval..Because of lower band(6 overall) ?
please clarify on this too ...
Hi,

As I said..it would be very good..with ESL...but nothing can be said..ultimately it all comes down to your profile, academic record, finances.... etc. Not me nor anyone can tell, what exactly will be the outcome for your visa...for the time being... try to get admission to a good Master's degree programme first (along with ESL in same Univ).... then apply for visa...

And hope for the best...