+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Ontario Housing Benefit

ElusiveTiger

Star Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi there,

I sponsored my wife and son to Canada last year (they arrived in March of this year), but have recently fallen on hard times and have the undertaking which lasts for 3 years where I can't take social assistance. I understand Ontario Works (welfare) is considered social assistance and that I cannot take that but I was referred to a program called Canada Ontario Housing Benefit (COHB) to help out with rent as I lost my job and needed housing. Am I fine to take this benefit while the 3 year undertaking is active? I just want to make sure I don't owe CRA thousands of dollars back next year when they assess my tax return.

Thank you

frange

May 25, 2018
I think that you were confused about the sponsorship process and the undertaking.
- Welfare program makes you ineligible to sponsor. Your family are already landed as PR... No problem at this point.
- Undertaking stands at the day sponsored people become PR. If they take social assistance (except for disability), you will have to pay back since you are responsible of them for 3 years. That's what you signed for.

NB: I don't know about COHB; but it shouldn't be since they help you with RENT, not fully pay rent for you.

ElusiveTiger

Star Member
Dec 21, 2019
I think that you were confused about the sponsorship process and the undertaking.
- Welfare program makes you ineligible to sponsor. Your family are already landed as PR... No problem at this point.
- Undertaking stands at the day sponsored people become PR. If they take social assistance (except for disability), you will have to pay back since you are responsible of them for 3 years. That's what you signed for.

NB: I don't know about COHB; but it shouldn't be since they help you with RENT, not fully pay rent for you.
Thanks for the response. Yes, they pay a large portion of the rent but not all of it.

Who should I contact in regards to this? IIRC? CRA? COHB themselves? Just want to double check so I won't be owing thousands next year or in the future.

frange

May 25, 2018
Thanks for the response. Yes, they pay a large portion of the rent but not all of it.

Who should I contact in regards to this? IIRC? CRA? COHB themselves? Just want to double check so I won't be owing thousands next year or in the future.
You should contact COHB or the government of Ontario via Ontario works in order to ask if this benefit is considered as a social assistance (welfare).
It is your responsibility to shelter your family. If you receive the assistance on your behalf, it shouldn't be a problem for sponsored family,

As long as sponsored people do not request social assistance on their behalf; you should be OK.

Reactions: ElusiveTiger

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi there,

I sponsored my wife and son to Canada last year (they arrived in March of this year), but have recently fallen on hard times and have the undertaking which lasts for 3 years where I can't take social assistance. I understand Ontario Works (welfare) is considered social assistance and that I cannot take that but I was referred to a program called Canada Ontario Housing Benefit (COHB) to help out with rent as I lost my job and needed housing. Am I fine to take this benefit while the 3 year undertaking is active? I just want to make sure I don't owe CRA thousands of dollars back next year when they assess my tax return.

Thank you
You, being the sponsor can take welfare without having to repay it, it is if your spouse, the PA, files for and collects welfare then you are on the hook to repay it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As both you and your spouse have PR she could also be looking for employment if she is not at the moment. It is not on only you to provide housing as a couple. Whether both of you are seeking employment will typically be a consideration and examined when applying for any form of assistance and if will be examined if you continue to need assistance.