+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Move

Canada_2012

Sep 10, 2011
Hello All,

I will move from UK to Toronto in a couple of months. I have some questions. Please answer.

1- What is the best way to transfer money from UK to Canada?
2- I have 32" Toshiba LCD. Will it work in Canada ?
3- Is UK full licence directly convertible there ?
4- What is the good & cheap way to take belongings (around 100 kg) to Canada ?
5- How I can finalize a place for rent from UK ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Open a bank account in Canada and wire the money between accounts.

2. There are two systems, Europe is PAL/SECAM and N-America is NTSC. Some TV's work on both. You will have to read your manual. Electricity is another matter. Europe is 230V and N-America is 110. You may need a converter although some appliances can handle both if you change the plug or your a plug adapter. Read your manual again.

3. Yes but you need a drivers abstract.

4. Ask DHL and such companies. You may find that it could be cheaper to sell your stuff and buy new when you arrive. I also found it quite cost effective to split things up into boxes and mail them.

5. Do not rent unseen. You could be scammed in all kind of ways. Start off with a hotel or a motel and look for an apartment yourself.

Canada_2012

Sep 10, 2011
Leon said:

2. There are two systems, Europe is PAL/SECAM and N-America is NTSC. Some TV's work on both. You will have to read your manual. Electricity is another matter. Europe is 230V and N-America is 110. You may need a converter although some appliances can handle both if you change the plug or your a plug adapter. Read your manual again.

4. Ask DHL and such companies. You may find that it could be cheaper to sell your stuff and buy new when you arrive. I also found it quite cost effective to split things up into boxes and mail them.

5. Do not rent unseen. You could be scammed in all kind of ways. Start off with a hotel or a motel and look for an apartment yourself.
Thanks for your reply. Just a few questions further:
1. Can account be opened while we are in UK?
2. What is drivers abstract and from where can I get it?
3. If we dont rent any place and stay in hotel for some days, which address should we give to the shipment people as I dont think a hotel room will have much space to accomodate all those boxes. What should we do?

Kindly reply. Thanks a lot.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. I do not know. Google banks in Canada and check if any of them offer those services.

2. A drivers abstract is an official letter with your driving history. You may be able to get such a letter from the police in your country or from a drivers license office or traffic authority. See http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-foreign-drivers-licence

3. Make a deal with the shipping people to store your boxes until you give them an address.

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hi

3. If we dont rent any place and stay in hotel for some days, which address should we give to the shipment people as I dont think a hotel room will have much space to accomodate all those boxes. What should we do?

Book a storage (depending on your goods volume). Rentals are cheap (per month basis)
Can be done from UK.
Provide this to your Shipper.
You can receive your goods into this when the goods arrive (Plan your shipping date so that you will be in Canada when the shipment arrives)
Storage fee in Canada with your Shipping Company will be huge when the goods arrive earlier than you (compared to delayed shipment from UK)

I hae done this in Toronto (US to Toronto). Google and finalize the company after doing some phone talking..

All the best

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada_2012 said:
1. Can account be opened while we are in UK?
1) Go to your local HSBC and get Canadian HSBC account
2) I booked a rental apartment in BC via internet while I was in China without any worries (no scams!) Moving in was smooth. Just that we had to take the stairs and lift our heavy items ourselves to that apartment on the second floor.

Canada_2012

Sep 10, 2011
Leon said:
1. I do not know. Google banks in Canada and check if any of them offer those services.

2. A drivers abstract is an official letter with your driving history. You may be able to get such a letter from the police in your country or from a drivers license office or traffic authority. See http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-foreign-drivers-licence

3. Make a deal with the shipping people to store your boxes until you give them an address.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Canada_2012

Sep 10, 2011
manianz47 said:
Hi

Book a storage (depending on your goods volume). Rentals are cheap (per month basis)
Can be done from UK.
Provide this to your Shipper.
You can receive your goods into this when the goods arrive (Plan your shipping date so that you will be in Canada when the shipment arrives)
Storage fee in Canada with your Shipping Company will be huge when the goods arrive earlier than you (compared to delayed shipment from UK)

I hae done this in Toronto (US to Toronto). Google and finalize the company after doing some phone talking..

All the best

Thanks a lot for your reply and the idea.

Canada_2012

Sep 10, 2011
steaky said:
1) Go to your local HSBC and get Canadian HSBC account
2) I booked a rental apartment in BC via internet while I was in China without any worries (no scams!) Moving in was smooth. Just that we had to take the stairs and lift our heavy items ourselves to that apartment on the second floor.
Through which website did you book your apartment? What documents they asked for before confirmation? how did you gave them advance payment and how much (two months rent or one month)? Was it through an agent or direct landlord?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada_2012 said:
Through which website did you book your apartment? What documents they asked for before confirmation? how did you gave them advance payment and how much (two months rent or one month)? Was it through an agent or direct landlord?
I booked that furnished apartment through rentbc.com and contact by email to the landlord who is also an agent. I gave one and a half month rent advance and deposit by cheque. I did not give the landlord any document.

Canada_2012

Sep 10, 2011
steaky said:
I booked that furnished apartment through rentbc.com and contact by email to the landlord who is also an agent. I gave one and a half month rent advance and deposit by cheque. I did not give the landlord any document.
Did you send then cheque by post from China?

I appreciate your help and quick replies.

an74

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad to London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 30 2004
File Transfer...
APR 2011
Med's Request
01-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Passport Req..
24-10-2012. PP RECEIVED LVO 29 OCT, Decesion made line added Nov 13, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2012, PP returned back 20-11-2012
LANDED..........
Jun 2013 got PR card August 20 2013
Leon said:

can i ship item before travel and can add items on thnings to follow. Is is good to shipp items instead of selling and buying over there