+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Immigration & Employment advice required

PM99

Jun 17, 2014
Hi everyone :)

I've just started my PR application process (for me and my wife) and as an aspiring Canadian immigrant there are a lot of queries that I have.

I am an Indian citizen and am currently working in Dubai in the Oil & Gas EPC industry. I am a Civil Engineer by education and I've 7 years of work experience in the Project Management/ Project Controls and Tendering functions. I understand that most of the job opportunities for my industry sector would be in Calgary/ Edmonton. Although the Alberta climate will be extremely cold for us (having lived in hot climate all lifelong), we are sure we will adapt accordingly while we are embraced by Canada and its welcoming people :)

Below are few points that I would like to seek your insights, opinions and advice on:

1] From what I have read on various online resources, to work in Canada as an engineer you need a professional license in addition to the engineering qualification. Is this professional license required for someone working in the Project Controls/ Management function as well?

2] Are job opportunities in Oil & Gas industry (Project Controls/ Project Management functions) open to candidates who have Canadian PR and international work experience but no Canadian work experience?

3] How is the current job market in Alberta? I am using Linkedin as a tool to get in touch with Industry contacts for guidance and information, however any tips regarding bagging a job before moving to Canada would be greatly appreciated.

4] What could be the expected average salary figure for a person working in the Construction/ Project Management functions of Oil & Gas industry (Engineer with 7 years of work experience)?

5] In case we give birth to a child after we receive our PR but before landing in Canada, how easy would it be to apply and receive PR for a new born baby? I just wanted to be sure that this would not take long so that we can all (along with the baby) land before our landing due date.

6] There could be a situation that we are granted PR and I don't find a job in Canada while I am still in Dubai and hence delay our permanent move. In that case our plan is to land temporarily for a short holiday and exit the Country upon the collection of our PR cards. I've read that upon landing, one must collect their PR cards, obtain a SIN and open a bank account. How long do you need to be in Canada to do all these three activities?

We are very excited at the prospect of relocating to Canada albeit a little apprehensive and scared at the thought of living in a Country without any relatives or friends to make the transition easier.

I realize there are many resources available online regarding my above concerns, so please forgive me if there are existing similar threads in this forum. I'm just interested to hear inputs from people regarding their experience during the process of migrating and successfully relocating to Canada.

I hope you guys can take the time to share your good and not so good experiences regarding my queries. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
Hi,

1. You'd need to get professional certification (or study on a bridging program) here to work as a professional Engineer. Same goes to any professionals (nurses, doctors, etc.). However, you can start working in a non-profession field (like a project manager, contractor, consultant, or even in IT etc.)

2. You do not need Canadian experience, unless the job function specifies so (for example, sales/marketing on a local market)

3. Sorry I have no experience in Alberta (I'm in Toronto)

4. When I was applying for entry-level Project Management jobs, the salary range was around $60,000 - $75,000/year

5. My wife got pregnant and gave birth in the middle of our application, before we received our PR status. It was a simple process. I emailed CIC and they replied with detailed instructions. Basically you just need to send the Birth Certificate and Passport of your baby to CIC and pay some additional processing fees.

6. When we landed in Canada, it took about 6-weeks before we received our PR cards in the mailbox.

When you get here, have the mindset of a fresh university grad; Focused on finding your first ideal job (based on your qualifications) and accepting nothing less! You'll eventually run out of funds, but most often than not, you'll find a job before you do.

Don't worry about the cold weather, you have no choice but to bear it hahaha. Come here during summer so Autumn can transition you to Winter. Well, at least in theory, since Winter here is REALLY intense. Good luck!

PM99

Jun 17, 2014
Thanks buliwyf for answering all of my queries. If I may ask are you working in a Project Management position? And were you able to find a job before landing or did you start looking for a job only once you were in Country?

Sep 25, 2020
Hi, I have work experience of 2years 11months and I am planning to do my PG Diploma, during the PG-D will my work experience count?
I am confused as I read that while you are studying the work experience does not count, so please clarify.

Also how many years of work experience is ideally required for getting good points in the CRS....

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone :)

I've just started my PR application process (for me and my wife) and as an aspiring Canadian immigrant there are a lot of queries that I have.

I am an Indian citizen and am currently working in Dubai in the Oil & Gas EPC industry. I am a Civil Engineer by education and I've 7 years of work experience in the Project Management/ Project Controls and Tendering functions. I understand that most of the job opportunities for my industry sector would be in Calgary/ Edmonton. Although the Alberta climate will be extremely cold for us (having lived in hot climate all lifelong), we are sure we will adapt accordingly while we are embraced by Canada and its welcoming people :)

Below are few points that I would like to seek your insights, opinions and advice on:

1] From what I have read on various online resources, to work in Canada as an engineer you need a professional license in addition to the engineering qualification. Is this professional license required for someone working in the Project Controls/ Management function as well?

2] Are job opportunities in Oil & Gas industry (Project Controls/ Project Management functions) open to candidates who have Canadian PR and international work experience but no Canadian work experience?

3] How is the current job market in Alberta? I am using Linkedin as a tool to get in touch with Industry contacts for guidance and information, however any tips regarding bagging a job before moving to Canada would be greatly appreciated.

4] What could be the expected average salary figure for a person working in the Construction/ Project Management functions of Oil & Gas industry (Engineer with 7 years of work experience)?

5] In case we give birth to a child after we receive our PR but before landing in Canada, how easy would it be to apply and receive PR for a new born baby? I just wanted to be sure that this would not take long so that we can all (along with the baby) land before our landing due date.

6] There could be a situation that we are granted PR and I don't find a job in Canada while I am still in Dubai and hence delay our permanent move. In that case our plan is to land temporarily for a short holiday and exit the Country upon the collection of our PR cards. I've read that upon landing, one must collect their PR cards, obtain a SIN and open a bank account. How long do you need to be in Canada to do all these three activities?

We are very excited at the prospect of relocating to Canada albeit a little apprehensive and scared at the thought of living in a Country without any relatives or friends to make the transition easier.

I realize there are many resources available online regarding my above concerns, so please forgive me if there are existing similar threads in this forum. I'm just interested to hear inputs from people regarding their experience during the process of migrating and successfully relocating to Canada.

I hope you guys can take the time to share your good and not so good experiences regarding my queries. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Would personally only move to Canada to work in oil and gas if I had a job offer. It can be a very challenging industry to work in in Canada and getting your foreign credentials recognized can take quite a long time. I assume you likely have a well paid job in Dubai and a good lifestyle so not sure whether it would actually make sense to move to Canada especially without employment.