+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada granting Visa free for eligible Filipinos? QUESTION!

jorenasuncion

Sep 23, 2018
Hi,

I just received news that starting June 7, Filipinos will be granted Visa free access to Canada. Filipinos who had Visa in Canada for the last 10 years or Filipinos who have existing valid US Visa.

It was mentioned that said Filipinos can just apply ETA for them to be allowed to access Canada without applying for a tourist Visa.

My question is this, I received a tourist Visa for Canada last October of 2019 but it expired in 2021. Am I still eligible to apply for ETA to grant me access to Canada, visa free? I also heard that said exemption is valid for 5 years.

Thanks.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hi,

I just received news that starting June 7, Filipinos will be granted Visa free access to Canada. Filipinos who had Visa in Canada for the last 10 years or Filipinos who have existing valid US Visa.

It was mentioned that said Filipinos can just apply ETA for them to be allowed to access Canada without applying for a tourist Visa.

My question is this, I received a tourist Visa for Canada last October of 2019 but it expired in 2021. Am I still eligible to apply for ETA to grant me access to Canada, visa free? I also heard that said exemption is valid for 5 years.

Thanks.
Links from the news site?

Askhar131

Star Member
Dec 20, 2020
Any thoughts?
2021 is more than 10 years ago. Therefore, it seems that you need to apply for a Canadian visa and not ETA. That is my own opinion based on the words " last 10 years". Someone else might have a different opinion but you can contact a lawyer to see what they say.

jorenasuncion

Sep 23, 2018
2021 is more than 10 years ago. Therefore, it seems that you need to apply for a Canadian visa and not ETA. That is my own opinion based on the words " last 10 years". Someone else might have a different opinion but you can contact a lawyer to see what they say.
Err...sorry... Wait... What? I'm actually confused.

jorenasuncion

Sep 23, 2018
Make use of it
What if the expired Visa that I have is on my expired passport, and then I tried to apply for eTA using my current passport where the Canadian Visa is no longer there. Will they be able to recognize that I was granted a Canadian TRV before?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
What if the expired Visa that I have is on my expired passport, and then I tried to apply for eTA using my current passport where the Canadian Visa is no longer there. Will they be able to recognize that I was granted a Canadian TRV before?
Should be able to mention the expired visa's document number. I am also interested in this because I have relatives with expired visas in December 2018

Askhar131

Star Member
Dec 20, 2020
Should be able to mention the expired visa's document number. I am also interested in this because I have relatives with expired visas in December 2018
i believe IRCC gave visit visas along with UCI numbers and with that it will show the expired visa. Shud be fine i think. Since it is a new initiative, most of us have not seen examples of people who have made use of it. So be the first to try and see how it goes so.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I also heard that said exemption is valid for 5 years.
Probably refers to the fact that the eTA is valid for no more than 5 years. Yes, in your case, you should be able to qualify for an eTA. Application takes a few days in most cases.

Great news for Filipnos.

Edit: I just wish that those travelling to Canada with their eTAs but their old visas in old passports won’t be a given a hard time by immigration officials at NAIA lol.

Last edited:

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
I just wish that those travelling to Canada with their eTAs but their old visas in old passports won’t be a given a hard time by immigration officials at NAIA lol.
Same sentiments here...

Reactions: bellaluna