+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada - Express Entry, Got Married but in express entry, I am single

alis1995

Oct 1, 2019
Hi everyone - I submitted my EE profile under the Canadian Experience Class in early August 2019 with a single (unmarried) status, and received an ITA on September 4. In the meantime, I got married in Ontario on August 23 and my wife is a Canadian citizen. In Ontario, a marriage takes more then 2 months to register and receive your marriage certificate by which you can prove that you are legally married. I have not yet received my certificate cannot legally prove that I am married hence the marital status was left as single. But when I recieved the invitation on Sept 4th - I had been married for more then a week.

On my express entry profile, I cannot go back and change my marital status - so what would be my options here? Should I attach a wife's Canadian passport + marriage certificate request + letter of explanation stating that "I have applied for a certificate, but since it has not arrived, I cannot legally prove that I am married hence the marital status was left as single".

My CRS points would remain the same as she is a Canadian citizen. What would this be the preferred approach for this issue? I don't think I should leave it as single as that can be categorized as providing false information. Please feel free to ask me of any additional information.

Really thank everyone out there in advance!

h_1991

Feb 7, 2019
Hi everyone - I submitted my EE profile under the Canadian Experience Class in early August 2019 with a single (unmarried) status, and received an ITA on September 4. In the meantime, I got married in Ontario on August 23 and my wife is a Canadian citizen. In Ontario, a marriage takes more then 2 months to register and receive your marriage certificate by which you can prove that you are legally married. I have not yet received my certificate cannot legally prove that I am married hence the marital status was left as single. But when I recieved the invitation on Sept 4th - I had been married for more then a week.

On my express entry profile, I cannot go back and change my marital status - so what would be my options here? Should I attach a wife's Canadian passport + marriage certificate request + letter of explanation stating that "I have applied for a certificate, but since it has not arrived, I cannot legally prove that I am married hence the marital status was left as single".

My CRS points would remain the same as she is a Canadian citizen. What would this be the preferred approach for this issue? I don't think I should leave it as single as that can be categorized as providing false information. Please feel free to ask me of any additional information.

If she's a Canadian citizen, I don't see how it would affect your ITA or application. Wait for experienced people's replies, but I don't think it will affect your application.

AnnaCan

Aug 16, 2019

Have you considered submitting a webform to explain your situation first?

adraj2506

Mar 29, 2017
My profile

I got my invitation on 12th June.
AOR - 9th July.
Got an update that the medical was passed on 9th August.
I am an inland applicant.
After this medical update I haven't received any updates.

I am not sure whether I am missing something to look at to get an update.

I haven't yet called CIC to check for any update for my application.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

For a change of marital/family status, you have to submit the information via webform - explain exactly as you did above, and give proof of her citizenship. You may never get a reply (since it does not affect your application), but you will have done the necessary.

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx