+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada citizenship backlog is smaller due to fees

dell

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is an interesting article on the news. The government things that the backlog has been reduced due to increased fees. what do people think about it? I think it would have certainly made it difficult for some people but I can't imagine the huge drop in backlog due to fees alone. below is a link from the article.

https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2016/10/12/citizenship-applications-plummet-as-fees-soar.html

McClane

Star Member
Aug 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I cannot imagine that either. Correlation, causation, not the same thing.

If people cannot afford to save 500 CAD for a milestone of this magnitude, then they were an underclass already. The fee did not create it, like the author says.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
dell said:
There is an interesting article on the news. The government things that the backlog has been reduced due to increased fees. what do people think about it? I think it would have certainly made it difficult for some people but I can't imagine the huge drop in backlog due to fees alone. below is a link from the article.

https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2016/10/12/citizenship-applications-plummet-as-fees-soar.html
That may be one factor but the drop is more likely due to a number of applicants having to wait an extra year or 2 since the 4/6 rule kicked in. The numbers will go back up once PR qualify under 4/6 rule instead in 2017, 2 years after 2015 4/6 rule.

dell

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to the article, CIC received only 36,000 applicants for the first half of this year. Last year they received close to 150,000 which isn't much either. I am wondering why there is a backlog at all. If they were so slow the backlog should have been completely eliminated.

I am all for increasing the fees to even a $1,000 if that means processing time comes to reasonable 90 days.

imran01

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
That may be one factor but the drop is more likely due to a number of applicants having to wait an extra year or 2 since the 4/6 rule kicked in. The numbers will go back up once PR qualify under 4/6 rule instead in 2017, 2 years after 2015 4/6 rule.
agreed.

imran01

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dell said:
According to the article, CIC received only 36,000 applicants for the first half of this year. Last year they received close to 150,000 which isn't much either. I am wondering why there is a backlog at all. If they were so slow the backlog should have been completely eliminated.

I am all for increasing the fees to even a $1,000 if that means processing time comes to reasonable 90 days.
with you.. LOL

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dell said:

This is not rocket science. The new rules came to effect in June-July 2015 and any applicants who applied from July 2015 till July 2016 (12 months) would have easily applied during the 3/4 rules.
Not getting? Take an example of a Feb 2016 applicant (me) who completed 4 years in Jan 2016. I had completed 3 years in Jan 2015 and could have easily applied at that time - but chose not to because of personal reasons.
So, all these 12 months applicants till July 2016 are the "left over" applicants from 3/4 and not new.
From July 2016 onward, there would be a surge in applicants as those who were supposed to apply from July 2015 with old rules were waiting for one extra year. Once the second half data of 2016 comes, this would be held true.
Also, please note that the increase in fees came in Jan 2015 and those people who completed 3/4 were rushing to have their applications send before 4/6 came into effect. Obviously all these had nothing to do with increase in fees.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
The reporter is disgusting, everyone knows the drop is because of 4/6 and 183 days per calendar year rule, nothing related to fee but he still uses fee to redirect the public in other direction. I would think it is neccessary to increase the fee if it is to help the government recruit more office to reduce the backlog. Even if it is $1000, I am sure 99.99% of immigrants can afford. It is hardly believe just a few hundred dollars will stop someone from moving forward with such important matter in their life that affect their future, freedom of movement and stability

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
deerestlovelybear said:
The reporter is disgusting, everyone knows the drop is because of 4/6 and 183 days per calendar year rule, nothing related to fee but he still uses fee to redirect the public in other direction. I would think it is neccessary to increase the fee if it is to help the government recruit more office to reduce the backlog. Even if it is $1000, I am sure 99.99% of immigrants can afford. It is hardly believe just a few hundred dollars will stop someone from moving forward with such important matter in their life that affect their future, freedom of movement and stability
Extremely well stated!! The reporter is obviously a stupid, mentally deficient politically correct hack, spreading falsehoods for sensationalism! I too am all for a $1000 fee if it would reduce the processing times to a very reasonable 90 to 120 day max. time frame!

If someone cannot save up a measly $1000 for something as IMPORTANT AND SIGNIFICANT as citizenship, then they DON'T DESERVE TO BE GIVEN IT!! ::)

Keep in mind that when someone becomes a PR, they have to come to the country with around $12,000-ish (for one person like me), and much more if they are a family. So in light of this, arguing that a $530 fee puts someone in dire straits financially, is beyond preposterous and absurd!

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
"...this risks the overall success of the Canadian model of integration.” Really? This article is a perfect example of very bad journalism that misinforms the reason. First, I still do not understand why citizenship is a MUST to integrate; one can integrate in the Canadian society regardless of what nationality he or she carries. The only aspect he or she will not be able to do is voting; and tons of Canadians do not vote, does that mean they are not integrated in their own culture and communities? Second, this article does not mention at all the impact that the 4-6 Rule had on the number of applicants. The writer is trying to blame it all on the fees; which I doubt had any impact. The average median of employment income of new immigrants is about $20,000. That is a very low income, but enough for one to save $500 over a couple of years for such a crucial aspect such as citizenship that will bring significant benefits.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
marcher said:
"...this risks the overall success of the Canadian model of integration.” Really? This article is a perfect example of very bad journalism that misinforms the reason. First, I still do not understand why citizenship is a MUST to integrate; one can integrate in the Canadian society regardless of what nationality he or she carries. The only aspect he or she will not be able to do is voting; and tons of Canadians do not vote, does that mean they are not integrated in their own culture and communities? Second, this article does not mention at all the impact that the 4-6 Rule had on the number of applicants. The writer is trying to blame it all on the fees; which I doubt had any impact. The average median of employment income of new immigrants is about $20,000. That is a very low income, but enough for one to save $500 over a couple of years for such a crucial aspect such as citizenship that will bring significant benefits.
It is not just bad journalism, The Star newspaper is allowing this to go through, which shows how bad the newspaper is in itself. I wasn't surprised myself to see articles like this coming from The Star. The only reason the Star allowed this garbage is because the fees were increased during Harper's mandate. They will print anything that would place blame on the conservatives.