+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Citizen living in India over the 3 years

pardu5

Oct 30, 2019
I am Canada Citizen and have been living in India on Overseas Citizen of India (OCI for life long visa) since more than 3 years due to mother health issues. Can anyone please reply, how long I can stay in India? Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Was this not already answered ? A Canadian citizen can live outside of Canada for their whole life if they so wish, assuming the host country allows as the host determines how long.

Generally advisable though to keep a valid Canadian passport in case given cannot travel to Canada without plus may be an ID requirement for a host country.

There is no specific Canadian web site that am aware that states this, it is just a right that a citizen can come and go from Canada as they please much the same as any democratic country.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/canada-citizen-living-in-india-since-3-years.661608/

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
Was this not already answered ? A Canadian citizen can live outside of Canada for their whole life if they so wish, assuming the host country allows as the host determines how long.

Generally advisable though to keep a valid Canadian passport in case given cannot travel to Canada without plus may be an ID requirement for a host country.

There is no specific Canadian web site that am aware that states this, it is just a right that a citizen can come and go from Canada as they please much the same as any democratic country.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/canada-citizen-living-in-india-since-3-years.661608/
apparently he is asking for advice that how long would india government allow him to stay in india, he is not asking for canada advice here

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you Bs65 for your reply. What is host county please you mean Canada?
The country you are living in outside of Canada. Canada has no restrictions on how long any citizen can live outside of the country but maybe India or any other country does have a limit to have long someone can live there , cannot answer that.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
apparently he is asking for advice that how long would india government allow him to stay in india, he is not asking for canada advice here
Could be but guess that information is available on an Indian government website for an OCI holder which if I read it correctly provides indefinite leave to stay in India.

pardu5

Oct 30, 2019
Thank you Bs65 again. I am on Overseas Citizen of India visa which is life long visa. So there is no issues in India to stay as long as I can. I have only doubt that from Canada side is there any restrictions for Canada Citizens any length of time to stay in India. Thanks.

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
Thank you Bs65 again. I am on Overseas Citizen of India visa which is life long visa. So there is no issues in India to stay as long as I can. I have only doubt that from Canada side is there any restrictions for Canada Citizens any length of time to stay in India. Thanks.
never heard of any country that restricts its citizens how long they can live overseas, are you aware of any country does that?

pardu5

Oct 30, 2019
Is there any difference in Citizenship acquired by naturalized and born in Canada to lose their citizenship while they staying long time in abroad or not intended to stay in Canada.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
never heard of any country that restricts its citizens how long they can live overseas, are you aware of any country does that?
Some countries require their citizens to get an exit visa to travel abroad. Of these countries, a small handful of them also have a duration limit on how long they can be away. Usually these countries are not exactly the bastion of freedom. North Korea is one example.

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
I am Canada Citizen and have been living in India on Overseas Citizen of India (OCI for life long visa) since more than 3 years due to mother health issues. Can anyone please reply, how long I can stay in India? Thanks in advance.
Mr.Paadu5 ….You can get back Indian citizenship after holding OCI for 5 years. :mad::D

An Individual registered as OCI is eligible to apply for grant of Indian citizenship under section 5(1) (g) of the Citizenship Act, 1955 if he/she is registered as OCI for five years and has been residing in India for one year out of the five years before making the application.

pardu5

Oct 30, 2019
Thanks for your response. Is it only option to get back an Indian Citizenship or automatically cancelled the Canada Citizenship and become Indian Citizen.

Aby444

Oct 10, 2014
Abuja
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with App
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16 - 05- 2016
LANDED..........
JUNE 26, 2016
Thanks for your response. Is it only option to get back an Indian Citizenship or automatically cancelled the Canada Citizenship and become Indian Citizen.
Your Canadian citizenship cannot be canceled. So even if you never come back to Canada, you are still a Canadian citizen unless you decide to revoke it. You can have your OCI and Canadian citizenship. There is no issue

Reactions: pardu5

pardu5

Oct 30, 2019
Your Canadian citizenship cannot be canceled. So even if you never come back to Canada, you are still a Canadian citizen unless you decide to revoke it. You can have your OCI and Canadian citizenship. There is no issue

Thank you Aby444 for your reply.

So that even after 5 years stay in India also no need to worry and I am not become Indian Citizen automatically right! Unless I apply for Indian Citizenship with holding OCI (Overseas Citizen of India).

Last edited: