+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Child Benefits

kurtrules

Star Member
May 6, 2016
Hi,

I have a situation which I need your help in. My wife, daughter and I landed in Canada in February and became PRs. We left Canada a week later. My wife got a job, and returned to Canada permanently while I am still staying behind, as I have work commitments to my current employer.

Question is - 1) Is my wife eligible for CCBs from August?
2) They ask for both incomes (husband and wife). However, since I am a non-resident for tax purposes, what income do I declare?
3) Are we considered as residents (As they ask for pervious 2 years income) or non residents - for recieving this benefit?

Thanks!

Investocrat

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Winnipeg
Hi,

I have a situation which I need your help in. My wife, daughter and I landed in Canada in February and became PRs. We left Canada a week later. My wife got a job, and returned to Canada permanently while I am still staying behind, as I have work commitments to my current employer.

2) They ask for both incomes (husband and wife). However, since I am a non-resident for tax purposes, what income do I declare?
3) Are we considered as residents (As they ask for pervious 2 years income) or non residents - for recieving this benefit?

Thanks!
With your wife now living in Canada permanently with your child, you are considered a resident for tax purposes. There are significant ties that make you tax resident. I believe you will be required to provide both your incomes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I assume your child is also in Canada. If not, she doesn't qualify.

Both you and your wife will have to submit your global incomes for the past 2 years. The amount you receive in child benefit will be based on previous taxable years so that is why they will need to see your incomes before you landed in Canada.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hi,

Thanks!
I agree with the previous comments. If your wife and child are living in Canada, then you are definitely a tax resident of Canada and must pay tax on your global income.

kurtrules

Star Member
May 6, 2016
ok, so when will that global income start from? because in this case we became residents of Canada for "tax purposes" when we established "significant ties" with Canada, which is from August. Hence, what is the amount needed to be entered.

Also, as far as income tax goes, does the 183 day rule hold no water, for us to be declared tax residents? I put a thread up in tax turbo regarding taxes and they mentioned that both my wife and I would be non-residents for tax purposes as we have not yet completed 183 days in Canada, ever. Hence, my wife will pay tax on income earned in Canada albeit as a non-resident for tax purposes. This is confusing now

kurtrules

Star Member
May 6, 2016
I assume your child is also in Canada. If not, she doesn't qualify.

Both you and your wife will have to submit your global incomes for the past 2 years. The amount you receive in child benefit will be based on previous taxable years so that is why they will need to see your incomes before you landed in Canada.
Yes, my child is in Canada.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
You better ask a tax professional if you believe you are non-resident for tax purposes and there's a tax treaty between 2 countries. Always believe that double taxation is a no no, if you already paid income tax in another country, you don't have to file if you don't WANT to.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Income that they are asking for the CCB is unrelated to whether you were a non-resident for tax purposes. It is an income adjusted benefit so based on your previous income you may receive less CCB monthly. You only started having significant ties to Canada starting in August.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
For CCB purposes, yes you have to put in the form the global income for the previous years converted to CAD.
For income tax purposes, imo you are non-resident for tax purposes until you move here permanently.