+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Child Benefit

mughal1

Aug 18, 2019
Hi all,
I am an international student and my study permit is valid for next 2 years. I will complete my 18 months in Canada next month, but for my wife and kids it would be 10 months.
I was reading the following page
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview/canada-child-benefit-before-you-apply.html
and confused a bit because it is written that mother is considered as "primarily responsible " for kids upbringing, in this case whether we can still eligible for CCB or we have to wait for my wife to complete her 18 months time.
Kindly guide me based on your experience.

Thanks in anticipation.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Hi all,
I am an international student and my study permit is valid for next 2 years. I will complete my 18 months in Canada next month, but for my wife and kids it would be 10 months.
I was reading the following page
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview/canada-child-benefit-before-you-apply.html
and confused a bit because it is written that mother is considered as "primarily responsible " for kids upbringing, in this case whether we can still eligible for CCB or we have to wait for my wife to complete her 18 months time.
Kindly guide me based on your experience.

Thanks in anticipation.
You can avail CCB starting from your 19th month. Call IRCC, and if you are registered on CRA website already, upload all docs (children birth cert. and other related docs) from your MyCRA too. If it approves let say in 21st month of ur residency, they will also pay arrears of 2 months, i.e. from your 19th months.

Last edited:

mughal1

Aug 18, 2019
Thanks for your reply.
I need to ask when should we apply as soon ad my 18 months stay complete or my wife’s, because we have 8 months difference in our residency time. We both are on TRV.

Haifaa owayed

Jan 24, 2020
Hi
I arrived canada in 15th june 2019
and then i started to received child benefit in September
The question is :Is there a child benefit credit over the three months before September ?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hi
I arrived canada in 15th june 2019
and then i started to received child benefit in September
The question is :Is there a child benefit credit over the three months before September ?
Did you arrive as a PR in June 2019? Did your child arrive with you in June 2019? If yes to both, then your first CCB payment would tell you how much they retroactively gave you for the months before September. Would advise that you read the letter that they sent you.

Roschekyrie

Apr 23, 2019
Hi i need some information. I also apply for bowp and PR but got refused, because of this I lost my status last April 2022. I apply to restore my status last May and my status was restored last September 2022. My question is about child benefit. Will the 18 months will have to start again from the time i restore my status? I already recieving child benefit in my first work permit. This is my 2nd work permit. Im wondering if i will get child benefit again or i have to work 18 months again before i start recieving child benefit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi i need some information. I also apply for bowp and PR but got refused, because of this I lost my status last April 2022. I apply to restore my status last May and my status was restored last September 2022. My question is about child benefit. Will the 18 months will have to start again from the time i restore my status? I already recieving child benefit in my first work permit. This is my 2nd work permit. Im wondering if i will get child benefit again or i have to work 18 months again before i start recieving child benefit.
when did your 2nd WP get approved? Restoring your status doesn’t mean that you have received a new WP.