+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Benefits - Are there any benefits that I can apply for myself?

Lean01

Feb 22, 2018
Hi there. I am a new Registered Nurse that just started working in the hospital beginning of March 2020. I graduated in April 2019 and obtained my license in December 2019. Last Saturday, I had an accident and hurt my foot really bad (Sprain Level 2) that I had to stay at home for weeks or maybe even months depending on my recovery from the injury. I do not have benefits at work yet because I only started a Full Time Temporary Position. The only income that I had from last year was from my Employment Insurance when I was doing my practicum which lasted for about 6 months. My husband and I did not work last year because of juggling with my studies for licensure and taking care of our twins who have autism. He also couldn't find a job right now because of COVID 19 amd my current situation.

Now, I am disheartened for what had happened to me and I'm totally lost if there are any benefits which I can apply for to support our living expenses and paying our bills. I hope someone can give me an advice. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there. I am a new Registered Nurse that just started working in the hospital beginning of March 2020. I graduated in April 2019 and obtained my license in December 2019. Last Saturday, I had an accident and hurt my foot really bad (Sprain Level 2) that I had to stay at home for weeks or maybe even months depending on my recovery from the injury. I do not have benefits at work yet because I only started a Full Time Temporary Position. The only income that I had from last year was from my Employment Insurance when I was doing my practicum which lasted for about 6 months. My husband and I did not work last year because of juggling with my studies for licensure and taking care of our twins who have autism. He also couldn't find a job right now because of COVID 19 amd my current situation.

Now, I am disheartened for what had happened to me and I'm totally lost if there are any benefits which I can apply for to support our living expenses and paying our bills. I hope someone can give me an advice. Thank you.
A bit confused as to why you were receiving EI while doing your practicum (also considered part of your full-time studies). Were you working full-time while going to nursing school and then got laid off? EI is onl6 possible when you can show you are actively looking for work. If you are doing your practicum you aren’t in a position to work.

Would first check with your employer first to see if you do qualify for some short term leave but welfare sounds like your only option.

Lean01

Feb 22, 2018
A bit confused as to why you were receiving EI while doing your practicum (also considered part of your full-time studies). Were you working full-time while going to nursing school and then got laid off? EI is onl6 possible when you can show you are actively looking for work. If you are doing your practicum you aren’t in a position to work.

Would first check with your employer first to see if you do qualify for some short term leave but welfare sounds like your only option.

I am Internationally Educated Nurse so I did my online theory for a year while working full time. Then, Employment Manitoba gave me permission to quit my job to do my practicum. That is why I got qualified for EI.

What do you mean by welfare? Where can I apply for it? Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am Internationally Educated Nurse so I did my online theory for a year while working full time. Then, Employment Manitoba gave me permission to quit my job to do my practicum. That is why I got qualified for EI.

What do you mean by welfare? Where can I apply for it? Thanks.
Depends on your province just google it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately, I fell on the stairs at home.
In that case I think your only option is welfare / social assistance. These programs have slightly different names depending on which province you live in.

Lean01

Feb 22, 2018
Ok thank you. This makes it more complicated because I am a resident of Manitoba but in Saskatchewan for work reason. Unless, I have stayed in Saskatchewan for minimum of 3 months then they can consider me a resident and apply for their benefits. On the other hand, Manitoba would only consider me if I am in Manitoba.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok thank you. This makes it more complicated because I am a resident of Manitoba but in Saskatchewan for work reason. Unless, I have stayed in Saskatchewan for minimum of 3 months then they can consider me a resident and apply for their benefits. On the other hand, Manitoba would only consider me if I am in Manitoba.
Not sure if you re talking about medical care or welfare. If you have used saskatchewan healthcard you must remain in saskatchewan to meet their healthcare residency.