+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada bans flights from India and Pakistan for 30 days...

A93

Star Member
Mar 17, 2021
Stay home. The more people travel from India and other places, the longer the lockdown will be. People need to stop being selfish and think about the common good.

Someone's happiness or how they feel is very different to someone's life being lost. It is proven that travellers are the main source of cases in Ontario. The quicker this is resolved the more likely students will be able to enjoy in person education. What don't you get?
I don't understand the belittling of people who are complaining because they are suffering..just like the attitude you have, treating everyone like a child...Everyone has common sense. and I didn't ask any question, just put my views that everything needs to be tightened without pointing fingers, that's all. Rest, neither me nor any of you have the authority to do anything.
I am ashamed of people who don't follow laws. Whenever I arrive in your country, I will have to stay 14 days apart from my girlfriend, but I'm not complaining, I follow rules, I understand the reason why they are there but just because some people are flaunting social distancing(not just travellers) and others are skipping home isolations, a lot like me are suffering. That's all. can't even complain now ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: Aesopzai

arhue

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
It is proven that travellers are the main source of cases in Ontario. The quicker this is resolved the more likely students will be able to enjoy in person education. What don't you get?
Where is it "proven" exactly? Did you read what I wrote above? There is almost zero evidence that the cases have anything to do with student travel, which is non-discretionary and essential. It's just an attempt to deflect blame from incompetence and lax enforcement of common sense measures.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Honestly, this ban is justified. Right here on this forum, people from these countries are the ones asking for total strangers to share hotel rooms with, just to cut corners. I mean, who does that during a pandemic????

I've had to defer my study plans for over a year and even lost family members due to covid, yet some people selfishly make things worse just to save a few bucks.

If you are stuck in your country right now due to this ban, blame it on your fellow students who tried to cheat the system and disobey quarantine rules.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Many predicted the flight and provincial ban. Btw can't blame all the travellers. Only the travellers who evaded quarantine. Not quarantining means one is in violation of the study permit condition. It will definitely have an impact in future applications and is somehow indirectly aggravating the surge as well.

Reactions: A93

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Where is it "proven" exactly? Did you read what I wrote above? There is almost zero evidence that the cases have anything to do with student travel, which is non-discretionary and essential. It's just an attempt to deflect blame from incompetence and lax enforcement of common sense measures.
If we see a commensurate reduction in cases following the ban, then the evidence will be obvious. Just because there is is no clear evidence right now (due to lack of data gathered in this regard) doesn't mean it's not a causative factor.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The India / Pakistan travel ban is all about preventing more cases of the B.1.617 strain from entering Canada. Obviously some have already but the aim is to prevent more because of how problematic this double mutation strain is. I agree that international students aren't at fault for the high case volumes in Ontario. But what Ontario is looking to do is to limit anything that poses a significant threat to increasing those numbers. Having said that, the whole bit about stopping international students from coming isn't real yet obviously and I'm not sure it's going to happen. If the concern is India and Pakistan and the new mutation, it makes more sense to simply ban those who are traveling with one of these countries as their original location (regardless of the transit country). That would address the concern without impacting all international students.

Reactions: YVR123 and canuck78

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Honestly, this ban is justified. Right here on this forum, people from these countries are the ones asking for total strangers to share hotel rooms with, just to cut corners. I mean, who does that during a pandemic????

I've had to defer my study plans for over a year and even lost family members due to covid, yet some people selfishly make things worse just to save a few bucks.

If you are stuck in your country right now due to this ban, blame it on your fellow students who tried to cheat the system and disobey quarantine rules.
Exactly. Very well said.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

Reactions: wonderbly

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I want to make a few points. The government feels that student travel is essential and non-discretionary for good reason.

1. Many programs are not virtual and it is difficult to deliver them as such.

Based on what statistics? I guess it is other way round
2. If you aren't in Canada for atleast 8 months, you do not get CRS points for PR.

You will lose points on InCanada work experience but doesnt make you ineligible for PR. If you have job plus 3 years + foreign experience you gain poi nts. CRS score is combinations of factors
3. There are tax residency headaches which arise because of limiting travel. If I travel after end of May I'm a tax resident of my home country, in addition to Canada. Many of such cases end up in expensive and lengthy court battles.

Your tax residence will start from the day you become residence in Canada when you file your tax. I dont situation with your country, but how do you justify court battles? If you arrive in Sept, next year you will file for 2021 from the period you became resident.
4. When people pay to study in Canada, they are also paying for co-op and/or residency in a foreign country.

Im lost with this? I dont understand what you mean, paying for coop or residency in foreign country????
Again I don't see what the problem is if all rules are diligently followed. I don't think scapegoating international students is fair when:

1. A lot of Canadians are not following quarantine and/or using land borders to cross in. My friend also told me that mask enforcement is extremely lax.

And there have been some consequencies for people who violate, we have seen tickets issued. In my experience from BC, majority adhere to mask wearing...however i dont want to generalize like what your friend did
2. If I check stats, only 10k international students crossed in every month Q1 last year. Even if you assume that many crossed in this year, even though the numbers have dropped significantly because of Covid and quarantine requirements, the numbers don't add up. Inspite of 3 Covid tests(1 at home and 2 in Canada), 3 day hotel quarantine, 11 day home quarantine, screening for symptoms at both exit/entry points, even if 0.5-1% of the people are affected, you only have 1.5-3 people/day infected on average, which is nowhere near the 8500/day cases being reported.

You simply ignored multiplying effect, what will stop 1% of those infected spreading to others? I hope you agree one case of new variant can have tremendous effect to population.

Bluejayscardinals

Star Member
Oct 21, 2020
Honestly the most effective way to achieve the same result is put in place a full 14 night stay at government approved airport hotel. At $300 a night, a lot of people would just stay away. Schools won't cover the cost of that - it is way way too much.

AalekhT

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Honestly the most effective way to achieve the same result is put in place a full 14 night stay at government approved airport hotel. At $300 a night, a lot of people would just stay away. Schools won't cover the cost of that - it is way way too much.
People with money won't and instead of doing that just ban the flights and tell that border will not open till 2025

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I think most effective way is the one in AU and NZ...that will give feds results. I dont think there are enough supply (hotels) for 14days mandatory hotel quaranting

AalekhT

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
I think most effective way is the one in AU and NZ...that will give feds results. I dont think there are enough supply (hotels) for 14days mandatory hotel quaranting
I agree with that also universities and colleges should not give admission to international students so future students wouldn't take admissions and if they will not take admission they won't have to travel there.

Bluejayscardinals

Star Member
Oct 21, 2020
Yeah maybe, but part of the reason I don't want to leave here this summer is fear the rules will change. I will pay $1000 for 3 night stay but no way I will pay $4000 for 14 night stay. I'm sure others feel this way too which would have the same effect as making it harder for people to come (if that is really what government wants) -- Personally feel it is still just to deflect from Ontario's other problems at the moment.

Reactions: Stringer_Bell_786

u2can

Feb 14, 2020
I was arriving from London last night and there was a lot of students in the line that I was in to get my work permit who had Indian passports and were collecting study permits. They all had Qatar Airlines tags on their bags
Qatar airways doesnt fly into Toronto Pearson! I wonder how the plane mysteriously flew to Toronto with just indian students visible.:rolleyes: