+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can You Still Apply For PGWP If Your Semester Credit Drops Because Of A Failed Course?

StealthyCelery

Feb 24, 2020
So in my college, to be considered full time, you have to be 9 credits or more. In my last semester, I failed one course. I looked at my unofficial transcript, and it says that my credit for that semester is 6.

The transcript listed all the the courses I took that semester, however in the failed one, the credit is showing as 0, which is why only the credit from the other courses were added to 6.

Is this a problem for PGWP? Won't they see that I still attempted 3 courses during that semester? But why is it showing 0? Shouldn't the transcript say that the course is worth 3 credits (if passed)?

Can someone please tell me if this is a problem?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Yes you should be fine as long as you were enrolled for 9 credits. You still need to graduate to qualify for PGWP. Also, see if the transcript says you were full time that semester because that's what important, not that you failed a class.

Reactions: StealthyCelery

StealthyCelery

Feb 24, 2020
Yes you should be fine as long as you were enrolled for 9 credits.
But how will the immigration officer know how many credits I was totally enrolled in when the transcript says ' 0 credits ' next to the failed course? How will he know how many credits that course is worth if I did pass it? Because the amount of credits a course has can vary.

The transcript doesn't say anything about being full time or part time, it simply shows what courses were attempted in each semester and the grade for it.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
But how will the immigration officer know how many credits I was totally enrolled in when the transcript says ' 0 credits ' next to the failed course? How will he know how many credits that course is worth if I did pass it? Because the amount of credits a course has can vary.

The transcript doesn't say anything about being full time or part time, it simply shows what courses were attempted in each semester and the grade for it.
Most schools also have what is called a letter of enrollment which states if the student is full time/part time at the school. It should be a web service but if you can't find it then contact your school representative.

StealthyCelery

Feb 24, 2020
Most schools also have what is called a letter of enrollment which states if the student is full time/part time at the school. It should be a web service but if you can't find it then contact your school representative.
So I checked my letter of enrollment, and it says that I was full time during that semester. However I contacted a staff member at my school and they said that if a student fails a course during a semester, they will be considered part time. I'm so confused.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
So I checked my letter of enrollment, and it says that I was full time during that semester. However I contacted a staff member at my school and they said that if a student fails a course during a semester, they will be considered part time. I'm so confused.
That could be a problem. Ultimately, what you apply for PGWP with is your letter of completion and your transcript. If the transcript doesn't say full time/part time then the VO will have to interpret what that 6 credit semester means. So yes, you are at risk of not getting PGWP because of that

StealthyCelery

Feb 24, 2020
That could be a problem. Ultimately, what you apply for PGWP with is your letter of completion and your transcript. If the transcript doesn't say full time/part time then the VO will have to interpret what that 6 credit semester means. So yes, you are at risk of not getting PGWP because of that
My letter of enrollment lists that semester as 9 credits (because that's what I registered for), and it says full time. So if I submit my transcript along with the letter of enrollment for that semester, and explain to the VO and explain that I registered for 3 courses and studied them till completion, but failed one, would that be enough proof?

Because if the transcript has a F on it, that means that the studied at least attended the course and wrote the final exam. Dropping a course would make that F a ' W ' for withdrawal.

So 2 pieces of evidence: The transcript which says ' F ' (which means that I wrote the final exam and didn't drop it), and the enrollment letter which states that I had enrolled in 9 credits for that semester.

Is that a strong case?

Also one more point, not sure if its helpful or not. But the summer semester for my program is considered a scheduled break. I asked the college staff.

Last edited:

mailbus

Dec 22, 2022
did you get your pgwp ?
My letter of enrollment lists that semester as 9 credits (because that's what I registered for), and it says full time. So if I submit my transcript along with the letter of enrollment for that semester, and explain to the VO and explain that I registered for 3 courses and studied them till completion, but failed one, would that be enough proof?

Because if the transcript has a F on it, that means that the studied at least attended the course and wrote the final exam. Dropping a course would make that F a ' W ' for withdrawal.

So 2 pieces of evidence: The transcript which says ' F ' (which means that I wrote the final exam and didn't drop it), and the enrollment letter which states that I had enrolled in 9 credits for that semester.

Is that a strong case?

Also one more point, not sure if its helpful or not. But the summer semester for my program is considered a scheduled break. I asked the college staff.
did you get ur PGWP ????

D

Deleted member 1083629

A failed course should not make you a part-time student. A dropped course does.