+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you sponsor parents if you are abroad?

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
If I meet all the requirements as a sponsor, but right now residing abroad, can I still sponsor parents? or is there a requirement that I have to live in Canada to be the sponsor?

Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If I meet all the requirements as a sponsor, but right now residing abroad, can I still sponsor parents? or is there a requirement that I have to live in Canada to be the sponsor?

Thank you
You must live in Canada.

simoneleah

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
"Sponsorship eligibility
In order to sponsor, you must…
  • be 18 years of age or older;
  • be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident;
  • be sponsoring a member of the family Class;
  • live in Canada;
  • sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic requirements of the person being sponsored;
  • sign an agreement with the person you are sponsoring that confirms that each of you understands your mutual obligations and responsibilities;
  • prove that you have sufficient income to provide the basic requirements for your family members in Canada as well as the persons included in your sponsorship undertaking. You may also have a co-signer. Your combined gross income may help you meet the income requirements."
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
"Sponsorship eligibility
In order to sponsor, you must…
  • be 18 years of age or older;
  • be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident;
  • be sponsoring a member of the family Class;
  • live in Canada;
  • sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic requirements of the person being sponsored;
  • sign an agreement with the person you are sponsoring that confirms that each of you understands your mutual obligations and responsibilities;
  • prove that you have sufficient income to provide the basic requirements for your family members in Canada as well as the persons included in your sponsorship undertaking. You may also have a co-signer. Your combined gross income may help you meet the income requirements."
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html
Thanks!