+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you move to Canada as a TEFL teacher?

Venus Rose

Nov 16, 2019
Hi everyone, so I was just wondering if you can immigrate to Canada through the express entry as a TEFL teacher (teaching English as a foreign language) for the most part I would be teaching online, teaching young people interested in learning the English language in different countries.
If not, could you give me any advice? I’ve wanted to move to Canada for a long time now and I’m only 19 coming on 20 on the 2nd of January, I’m living in Britain as of now and I was born here too.
Thank you everyone, Venus

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone, so I was just wondering if you can immigrate to Canada through the express entry as a TEFL teacher (teaching English as a foreign language) for the most part I would be teaching online, teaching young people interested in learning the English language in different countries.
If not, could you give me any advice? I’ve wanted to move to Canada for a long time now and I’m only 19 coming on 20 on the 2nd of January, I’m living in Britain as of now and I was born here too.
Thank you everyone, Venus
Without skilled work experience or higher education, you will not qualify for immigration. You could look at applying for an IEC Working Holiday permit in 2020, which would give you a 2 year work permit. However, if your end goal really is immigration, focus on your education and getting skilled work experience.

Venus Rose

Nov 16, 2019
Without skilled work experience or higher education, you will not qualify for immigration. You could look at applying for an IEC Working Holiday permit in 2020, which would give you a 2 year work permit. However, if your end goal really is immigration, focus on your education and getting skilled work experience.
Hi again, if an English teacher isn’t classed as skilled work then what is classed as skilled work? How much education would I need? An apprenticeship? A diploma? Or a degree?

Venus Rose

Nov 16, 2019
Hi again, if an English teacher isn’t classed as skilled work then what is classed as skilled work? How much education would I need? An apprenticeship? A diploma? Or a degree?
Also if I was to do the 2 year work permit, would that increase my chances of being able to move permanently doing the job I want to do?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Teaching when you have a degree is skilled work. Whether TEFL is skilled when it generally only requires a short course of a few months to become qualified, you would need to research that.

Canadian immigration is a points-based system. You generally need an Bachelor's degree or higher. I suggest you start researching. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

Also if I was to do the 2 year work permit, would that increase my chances of being able to move permanently doing the job I want to do?
You get points for skilled Canadian work experience.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add that as Canuck has said the key will be 'Canadian work experience' so if you come on the IEC program and simply sit in front of a computer providing online TEFL services that would not really count as Canadian work experience.

You should look at the IEC program and get a 2 year work permit but even so without more work experience (a few years) on your CV even in UK and a degree longer term may be challenging although not impossible for actual immigration..

The 2020 IEC program should be announced possibly in next few weeks so check this site in following link and also Google the IEC twitter

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec.html

https://twitter.com/IEC_EIC?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Last edited:

FromFebruary

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-06-2019
Med's Done....
31-07-2019
All teachers are regulated everywhere in Canada. This means that you must be registered with one of the provincial or territorial regulatory authorities to be authorized to practice as a teacher anywhere in Canada. The regulatory authority sets the requirements for certification, licensing, or registration to work in regulated occupations. This is different in every province, but being a teacher myself (with >8 years of experience, a master's degree in education and working 3 years as a vice-principal), I know that it's hard to get your license here in BC if you did not get you teaching degree in Canada. It would cost me a lot of money (another IELTS test, this time the academic one, assessment costs etc) and even though I have all my experience, there's a chance that I'd need to do another year in university here in order to teach in BC.

If you want to teach English here, I'd recommend getting a teaching degree.

Reactions: artificial.nocturne