+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you keep your work permit while waiting for PR card ?

PKush

Nov 4, 2019
Hello,

After validating you COPR can you keep your work permit so that you can travel while you waiting for the PR card?

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
Hello,

After validating you COPR can you keep your work permit so that you can travel while you waiting for the PR card?
If you are inland applicant, IRCC will take your work permit when you complete your landing procedure ( COPR validation).

PKush

Nov 4, 2019
If you are inland applicant, IRCC will take your work permit when you complete your landing procedure ( COPR validation).
They let it kept for my coworkers, also inland applicants. How you can travel while waiting for PR?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
They let it kept for my coworkers, also inland applicants. How you can travel while waiting for PR?
Work permits aren't valid for travel outside of Canada. That requires a TRV, which is invalidated after becoming a PR.

You can apply for a PRTD while abroad or re-enter through the US at a land border.

PKush

Nov 4, 2019
Work permits aren't valid for travel outside of Canada. That requires a TRV, which is invalidated after becoming a PR.

You can apply for a PRTD while abroad or re-enter through the US at a land border.
I have my TRV until 2021. I just curious there’s no way to travel with COPR while you waiting for the actual PR card?
PRTD can take even more time than PR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have my TRV until 2021. I just curious there’s no way to travel with COPR while you waiting for the actual PR card?
PRTD can take even more time than PR.
The TRV will be cancelled.

No, the COPR cannot be used to travel. It is not a document that airline staff can verify and you would not be allowed to board the plane.