+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you get points for a course that's less than one year?

bobsyouruncle

Sep 29, 2014
The education goes from High School graduation (worth up to 30 points) to "One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute" (worth up to 90 points).

If you do a 14 week course that results in a certificate or a 24 week course that results in a diploma, will that count towards anything in the education section?

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
bobsyouruncle said:
The education goes from High School graduation (worth up to 30 points) to "One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute" (worth up to 90 points).

If you do a 14 week course that results in a certificate or a 24 week course that results in a diploma, will that count towards anything in the education section?
I believe any course/diploma with less than 30 weeks of studies will not help you score points in EE. You may not get satisfied assessment from WES based on courses like that.

bobsyouruncle

Sep 29, 2014
can_indian said:
I believe any course/diploma with less than 30 weeks of studies will help you score points in EE. You may not get satisfied assessment from WES based on courses like that.
This is through the International Career Institute: https://www.icieducation.ca/

So they have an office in Canada, so perhaps it counts as a Canadian qualification?

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
bobsyouruncle said:
This is through the International Career Institute: https://www.icieducation.ca/

So they have an office in Canada, so perhaps it counts as a Canadian qualification?
To claim points for Canadian education/qualification, you have to be physically present in Canada and complete your course in Canada.

comfortablynumb

Feb 23, 2017
Delhi
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-04-2017
AOR Received.
01-04-2017
Passport Req..
10-07-2017
bobsyouruncle said:

You will not get the points for this. The course is too short. Get the ECA done to be sure.

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
bobsyouruncle said:
But if it's done from Canada, you can't get the ECA.
You will be able to claim 30 points for - Secondary graduation / High school diploma.
You will not be able go claim 90 points after completing cources like these.

You will not get aditional points for Canadian Education.
To claim those additional points, you have to go to a collage and complete a diploma at least a year in length (or higher degree like Bachelor, Masters etc)

In your case, Completing cources like these will not help you a bit in immigration process.

bobsyouruncle

Sep 29, 2014
can_indian said:
You will be able to claim 30 points for - Secondary graduation / High school diploma.

To claim those additional points, you have to go to a collage and complete a diploma at least a year in length (or higher degree like Bachelor, Masters etc)

In your case, Completing cources like these will not help you a bit in immigration process.
Okay. Thank you!

If I did a year long course that was online and based in Canada, would that count?

Canadream2017

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
can_indian said:

to clarify, the course in Canada must be full-time in campus, 8 months (or two full load semesters) minimum. This is how I got additional points, I did postgrad 8 month diploma in a community college in Canada.

pedro65

Feb 15, 2019
to clarify, the course in Canada must be full-time in campus, 8 months (or two full load semesters) minimum. This is how I got additional points, I did postgrad 8 month diploma in a community college in Canada.
Hi, which of these ones you selected?
*Secondary graduation / High school diploma
*One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

My course was 8month course full-time in campus. I got the PGWP already and now I`ll apply under Express Entry however I don't know if I can use it on my express entry application.

Thank you,