+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you get into trouble by calling IRCC using a phone app?

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
Just as the title asks. Can you fudge your application or get into trouble if you use a phone app to call IRCC from out of the country? I hear that they will sometimes grill you about your location, and I want to be prepared.

Also, what info should I prepared to provide if I’m calling about a status update? I haven’t yet received an AOR or any correspondence so far. I’m the sponsor and am listed as a representative

Let me know. Thanks!

takitfree

Star Member
Nov 2, 2019
Just as the title asks. Can you fudge your application or get into trouble if you use a phone app to call IRCC from out of the country? I hear that they will sometimes grill you about your location, and I want to be prepared.

Also, what info should I prepared to provide if I’m calling about a status update? I haven’t yet received an AOR or any correspondence so far. I’m the sponsor and am listed as a representative

Let me know. Thanks!
If you are a Permanent Resident and you are a sponsor who’s concealing that you are out of the country, using a phone app is not going to get you in trouble. It’s when you return to Canada and the CBSA Officer examines your passport including entry stamps. They may decide to “fudge” your application big time.

takitfree

Star Member
Nov 2, 2019
Also, Your name, date of birth , applicant name date of birth his/her passport number, UCI if either of you have one . These things can find the application if there is one in the system.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019

Let me know. Thanks!
To directly answer your question, no it isn't a problem if you can find an app to call them from outside the country. People have used apps that will give you a Canadian phone number to use, with limited success. You haven't provided enough about your status in Canada for me to comment on the other part of your question.

If you get through to them use a UCI if you or your spouse has one, the receipt number of your payments or name, address, passport number. Have all of it ready in case they ask.

What do you mean by "fudge"?

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
To directly answer your question, no it isn't a problem if you can find an app to call them from outside the country. People have used apps that will give you a Canadian phone number to use, with limited success. You haven't provided enough about your status in Canada for me to comment on the other part of your question.

If you get through to them use a UCI if you or your spouse has one, the receipt number of your payments or name, address, passport number. Have all of it ready in case they ask.

What do you mean by "fudge"?
If you are a Permanent Resident and you are a sponsor who’s concealing that you are out of the country, using a phone app is not going to get you in trouble. It’s when you return to Canada and the CBSA Officer examines your passport including entry stamps. They may decide to “fudge” your application big time.
Hey, sorry for the lack of clarity here - I should clarify a few things -

1.) I'm a Canadian Citizen, and filled out my application appropriately to designate that I am an out-of-country sponsor. I wasn't asking if I could like, "out" myself as a liar/fraudster or anything.

2.) My main question was whether or not they could take punitive action against our application if they found out I called from out of country. That's my main concern. I want to get an update, but I don't want to jeopardize my application.

It looks like there really isn't any risk to calling from out of country, though. Thanks!

Reactions: takitfree