+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you enter Canada as a tourist without claiming your PR yet?

RBea

Apr 27, 2019
Hello!,

PA: British
Sponsor: Canadian

My husband has received his PA confirmation in the mail and we had a question regarding when he has to enter the country with it. We had planned to go to Canada at Christmas for two weeks and then return to England to move permanently in the new year with the sale of our house going through then and tying up our affairs. My question is: Can he enter as a tourist at Christmas without claiming his PR status yet, as we will not be there long enough for him to receive his PR card?

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello!,

My husband has received his PA confirmation in the mail and we had a question regarding when he has to enter the country with it. We had planned to go to Canada at Christmas for two weeks and then return to England to move permanently in the new year with the sale of our house going through then and tying up our affairs. My question is: Can he enter as a tourist at Christmas without claiming his PR status yet, as we will not be there long enough for him to receive his PR card?

Thank you!
Yes - you can do this as long as he has a valid eTA.

Reactions: RBea

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello!,

Thank you!
While this perfectly possible, if there is any chance of of someone in Canada receiving the PR card and couriering it to him, "landing" as a PR might be sensible. The unexpected can happen and if for any reason he allowed his COPR to expire before landing, he would have to start over again from scratch. It's "use it or lose it".

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As per Zardoz if were me I would complete landing in December and if you have a Canadian address of friend/relative have card mailed there and forwarded to you by courier in UK. If that is not possible then is not end of world having landed to apply for a PRTD on returning to UK for when eventually return to Canada.

just means the PR landing is a done deal and no pressure then as far as COPR validity.