+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you claim asylum if you have already in the US?

Armen0

Apr 3, 2020
I'm considering worst outcomes and if I get rejected from entering the US, I'm thinking about claiming refugee there. My family is in Canada. Can I go to US-Canada border to claim asylum in Canada even though I already have claimed asylum in the US?

Sakr77

Oct 6, 2020
I'm considering worst outcomes and if I get rejected from entering the US, I'm thinking about claiming refugee there. My family is in Canada. Can I go to US-Canada border to claim asylum in Canada even though I already have claimed asylum in the US?
Aren’t you already a permanent resident of Canada?

Sakr77

Oct 6, 2020
Asking for a friend actually.
from what I know, your friend would be ineligible to claim asylum in Canada since they claimed asylum in a different country already. But I don't know if there are any exceptions to this rule if they have an immediate family in Canada.

Reactions: Armen0

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
from what I know, your friend would be ineligible to claim asylum in Canada since they claimed asylum in a different country already. But I don't know if there are any exceptions to this rule if they have an immediate family in Canada.
Unfortunately there is no exception to that rule. "his friend" cannot make refugee claim in Canada

Reactions: Armen0 and Sakr77

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canada has really cracked down on people asylum shopping from the US. How long has your friend been in the US? Assume they have family in Canada and the whole post is about your friend.

Armen0

Apr 3, 2020
Canada has really cracked down on people asylum shopping from the US. How long has your friend been in the US? Assume they have family in Canada and the whole post is about your friend.
He isn't even the US right now. He's in Belarus at the moment.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He isn't even the US right now. He's in Belarus at the moment.
Does he have a visa to enter the US? If he is part of the group of people attempting to secure asylum in Europe he may have difficulty getting to the US with his travel history.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If i understood, he claimed asylum in US, failed and went back to Belarus (Country of Origin). Now he wants to claim Asylum in Canada….
That's not what I understood. I think OP is saying that this person is in Belarus right now and has plans to travel to the US and claim asylum there. If asylum is refused in the US, OP is asking if that person can then claim asylum in Canada at a US/Canada land border. OP's first post specifically mentions a US/Canada border claim.

Reactions: Simba112