+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you buy house based on COPR (awaiting PR card)?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Legally, you can buy a house anytime you want. Be mindful of foreign buyers' taxes in some areas. If you need a mortgage, a bank will probably want to wait until you have your card.

Reactions: Nelan

Lazymon82

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Move to quebec :) no foreign national tax here. May be there is 0.25% - 0.5% interest difference between a citizen/PR holder and new comer because of their credit history. If you can pay up 20% down you might even get the same interest percentage as the citizen/PR holder. These days interest percentages favours buyers who are insured under the CHMC mortgage insurance which is for applicants with less than 20% down payment. So this is the best time to invest in housing in quebec (montreal / south shore)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Move to quebec :) no foreign national tax here. May be there is 0.25% - 0.5% interest difference between a citizen/PR holder and new comer because of their credit history. If you can pay up 20% down you might even get the same interest percentage as the citizen/PR holder. These days interest percentages favours buyers who are insured under the CHMC mortgage insurance which is for applicants with less than 20% down payment. So this is the best time to invest in housing in quebec (montreal / south shore)
The best time to invest was around 10 yeara ago before there staeted being very large increases in real eatate rpices after a fee decades of pretty flat growth. Montreal is just catching up when it comes to real estate costs. There are still quite a lot of issues. Quebec isn't for everyone. Many new immugrants don't wan to settle in Quebec or can't qualify to immigrate and many are leaving because of bil 21. You also can end up with some awful commutes depending on if you need to use a bridge. This looks like a first house purchase to love in. Would make sure you have researched the neighbourhood and even perhaps lived there before buying there. Neighbourhooda all have good and bad qualities. Given the global economic uncertaintly make sure you have savings in case of longer period of unemployment, etc. Wouls suggest securing a job before buying so you know what kind of commute you are looking at. Perhaps you will be working from home so a good home office is more of a priority. Would be prepared to remain in the home for 5-10 years at the minimum. Due to covid there isn't as much inventory in some market which is oushing some prices +100k over asking in a bidding war.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The best time to invest was around 10 yeara ago before there staeted being very large increases in real eatate rpices after a fee decades of pretty flat growth. Montreal is just catching up when it comes to real estate costs. There are still quite a lot of issues. Quebec isn't for everyone. Many new immugrants don't wan to settle in Quebec or can't qualify to immigrate and many are leaving because of bil 21. You also can end up with some awful commutes depending on if you need to use a bridge. This looks like a first house purchase to love in. Would make sure you have researched the neighbourhood and even perhaps lived there before buying there. Neighbourhooda all have good and bad qualities. Given the global economic uncertaintly make sure you have savings in case of longer period of unemployment, etc. Wouls suggest securing a job before buying so you know what kind of commute you are looking at. Perhaps you will be working from home so a good home office is more of a priority. Would be prepared to remain in the home for 5-10 years at the minimum. Due to covid there isn't as much inventory in some market which is oushing some prices +100k over asking in a bidding war.
To invest in real estate does not always mean the investor must live or move to the neighborhood. They can hire a property manager to look after the property, while they live(work) overseas or another province.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To invest in real estate does not always mean the investor must live or move to the neighborhood. They can hire a property manager to look after the property, while they live(work) overseas or another province.
Move to Quebec implies a person living in the home.

Ramneek03

Oct 25, 2018
Hi, Just have question that I applied for the Permanent residency on 15 th September 2020 under CEC for express entry . I live in ottawa right now, i am planning to buy a house in Gatineau, Quebec in may be a month. So what you guys suggest, should i buy the house now, if yes, will it effect my Applied permanent residency as my residence will change from Ontario to quebec or should i wait for my result to come, that might come in next 5 to 6 months. What you guys suggest. Thanks in Advance

Ramneek

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Hi, Just have question that I applied for the Permanent residency on 15 th September 2020 under CEC for express entry . I live in ottawa right now, i am planning to buy a house in Gatineau, Quebec in may be a month. So what you guys suggest, should i buy the house now, if yes, will it effect my Applied permanent residency as my residence will change from Ontario to quebec or should i wait for my result to come, that might come in next 5 to 6 months. What you guys suggest. Thanks in Advance

Ramneek
Wait. You don't want to be developing any ties to Quebec.

• Haha
Reactions: bgpatel

ZZDown

Sep 6, 2017
Hi, were you able to buy property without pr card? I also got copr and wants to buy property. Please let me know how your experience was.
What do you mean by "buy"? As mentioned, if you want to buy a property, you don't even need to show any affiliation with Canada, just cash out your money and pay. You can even get a mortgage afaik being a foreign investor.