+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you apply for citizenship from overseas ?

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
My friend asked me an unusual question:

"After completing the eligibility period, can someone move to another country and just apply citizenship from there after, even 6 months or so?"

My answer is yes, there is no requirement to send in the package from within Canada, right ? you can complete your eligibility period and apply from anywhere you like?

you only need to fly in for test and ceremony

jc94

Mar 14, 2016

"After completing the eligibility period, can someone move to another country and just apply citizenship from there after, even 6 months or so?"

My answer is yes, there is no requirement to send in the package from within Canada, right ? you can complete your eligibility period and apply from anywhere you like?

You may also need FP request which may or may not be submittable from wherever you are planning on moving to. Applying from abroad may well also increase your chance of RQ especially if you are just over the 1095 days and you need to maintain your PR 730 days/5 years requirement until you get Citizenship too.

I believe you also need a Canadian postal address. You can request they contact you via email but there is no guarantee.

simpsol22

Feb 11, 2015
South Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Landing: Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2015
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017

The instruction guide says "home address (where you live – this address must be in Canada)"
It then gives an option for a mailing address if different from where you live. So you need to be living in Canada when you apply.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Sometimes focusing on the meaning of particular terms is mere semantics, of little import, leaning toward distraction.

BUT other times the meaning of words makes a difference.

Whether or not someone "can" do this or that is a wide, wide open question, and other than, say, something overtly impossible, like can an individual personally lift an aircraft carrier over one's head, the answer is almost always "yes," but how and to what effect varies rather considerably, and often "yes" does not mean successfully so, let alone yes without negative consequences. For example, in the very early morning hours when the highway is not crowded, yes you can drive your super-duper sports car two hundred km per hour. You can indeed. There is, of course, a significant risk there will be an arrest, the vehicle impounded, and other inconvenient consequences. But yes, you can do that.

A more relevant question, in the context of this topic, might be whether the law or regulations, or IRCC policy, impose a make-in-Canada requirement for Citizenship applications. Similar, say, to certain visa applications which the rules explicitly require they be made outside Canada.

For PR card applications it warrants remembering that IRCC explicitly specifies the application must be made from within Canada. Yet, there is no statute or regulation prescribing this. And the courts have ruled that a PR card application cannot be denied on the sole ground the application was not made IN Canada. Yet, notwithstanding multiple court rulings as to this, IRCC continues to explicitly state the application must be made in Canada.

But even that question, whether IRCC in effect allows for Citizenship applications to be made from outside Canada, probably illuminates little about whether, as a practical matter, a *successful* application for Canadian citizenship may be made by someone living abroad and done without physically coming to Canada to make the application. (There is no doubt, however, that the individual MUST come to Canada at least twice during the process in order for the application to result in the individual actually becoming a citizen, and this may need to be done on rather short notice, with NO notice directly to the applicant abroad.)

The forum has seen isolated anecdotal reports by individuals CLAIMING to have applied from abroad and successfully becoming a Canadian citizen. If one trusts those reports, that suggests that it "can" be done and, more to the point, it "can" be successfully done.

Hard to know whether to trust those reports. Moreover, even if true, those reports offer scant contextual information and do not reveal, for example, how those individuals dealt with particular aspects of the process, not the least of which has been suggested by other comments here: what residential address and what mailing address did they use in the application. And, very importantly in regards to the latter, in regards to the address information provided in the application, to what extent the information submitted was truthful. We know, for example, more than a few citizenship applicants succumb to the temptation to fudge address information, many of whom get away with this, while many others run into problems as a result.

There are many, many what-if-this, what-if-that, factors which could have a big impact on how things go for the PR who is living abroad after applying, let alone already living abroad before making the application. The potential pitfalls are clearly many, just considering logistical issues alone, not to mention the prospect of non-routine processing.

It is fair to observe that, at the very least, a PR living abroad could anticipate some difficulties, if not rather steep hurdles, in pursuing an application for citizenship, with a very substantial risk, for this or that reason, the application will fail.

Just because you can drive 200 km/hour in the middle of the night on the 401 does not mean it is a good idea.