+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we use AVR to enter US multiple times ?

NewGuy_25

Oct 12, 2021
I am a student on F1 visa with a valid I-20 (expiring in 2023), a valid I-94 and an expired visa stamp on the passport (expired on Jan 2021). I was planning on visiting Canada for a week next month (November 2021).

Could someone guide me on how the Auto-Revalidation Visa process works? Step by step would be appreciated (boarding from canada)

- Do I need to talk to any airline personal (air canada) before I book my tickets on what their policies are regarding auto visa revalidation? Just in case they dont allow me to board the flight from Canada.

- Once entered the US do I need to tell the officer that I am entering on AVR or just hand over my documents and let the officer do his thing?

Is there anything that I need to be worried about?

Appreciate any help, suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks.

JustBal

Feb 27, 2021
Hello,
I have Canada PR and US H1B although stamp is expired. I have already been to Canada 3 times and each time I stay for 4 weeks in Canada and come back to USA using AVR.

I stay in USA for 3-4 weeks and again go to Canada. Next time I’m planning to come to USA and maybe go back within a day to Canada.I have a remote US job, I just come back to reset my 30 day time period for the AVR rule.

Will this raise any issues at the USA border as they see that I mostly stay in Canada.

Thanks for your help.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hello,
I have Canada PR and US H1B although stamp is expired. I have already been to Canada 3 times and each time I stay for 4 weeks in Canada and come back to USA using AVR.

I stay in USA for 3-4 weeks and again go to Canada. Next time I’m planning to come to USA and maybe go back within a day to Canada.I have a remote US job, I just come back to reset my 30 day time period for the AVR rule.

Will this raise any issues at the USA border as they see that I mostly stay in Canada.

Thanks for your help.
If you are going to stay your most of the days in Canada then you have to establish your residency in Canada. If this is done then no issues at US border. As you know from your AVR experience, they ask us where do you stay? Based on this they get to decide whats going on with you. If you are saying that you stay in US but you are only having only 1day presence that might raise a flag however, there wouldn't be an issue but extra scrutiny which we want to avoid. Good luck.

JustBal

Feb 27, 2021
If you are going to stay your most of the days in Canada then you have to establish your residency in Canada. If this is done then no issues at US border. As you know from your AVR experience, they ask us where do you stay? Based on this they get to decide whats going on with you. If you are saying that you stay in US but you are only having only 1day presence that might raise a flag however, there wouldn't be an issue but extra scrutiny which we want to avoid. Good luck.
Thanks for your response.
When you say establish Canada residency.. I didn’t get. I have Canada PR. So are you saying, if I tell them that I stay in Canada, then I can come into the US for few days and go back without issues.

Also, this 1 day US travel will be one time. Usually I plan to stay around 2-3 weeks during each USA trip.

Also, at the USA border when they ask, where are you going - should my answer be only the location mention on my H1B LCA or can it be any location in US.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks for your response.
When you say establish Canada residency.. I didn’t get. I have Canada PR. So are you saying, if I tell them that I stay in Canada, then I can come into the US for few days and go back without issues.

Also, this 1 day US travel will be one time. Usually I plan to stay around 2-3 weeks during each USA trip.

Also, at the USA border when they ask, where are you going - should my answer be only the location mention on my H1B LCA or can it be any location in US.
Establishing a residency is like your physical stay most time of the year. You cannot maintain residency in two countries in a given year. If you are planning do this on long run that might raise a flag for your Canadian Citizenship if at all if you have plans.

Haven't you moved to Canada yet?

If you are going to work, yes you need to mention thats on your LCA and if its not work related any place is fine.