+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we travel between test and oath?

bunuelbresson

Feb 12, 2014
Hi everyone,

I want to know if it is possible to travel between test and oath. Do they take your PR at the test?

I will be leaving 4 to 5 weeks and I have no one to check my mail. However I will be checking the eCas on a weekly basis.

Any comments?

Thanks

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Sure you can travel.

They take your PR card at the oath ceremony, not the test.

4-5 weeks is a fairly long time. Sometimes the oath invitation letter comes much sooner than that.

Also eCAS does not update until after your oath. So if your oath letter comes in the mail and you are not checking your mail, you will have no idea about the oath. So travel at your own risk.

bunuelbresson

Feb 12, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I have to find someone to check my mail once a week.

I imagine if you miss the oath then it is a big deal?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Yes.... if you don't give them advance notice. They can potentially decide to cancel your entire application and you have to start again from the beginning if you don't show up and never give them advance notice.

But if you get the oath letter and can't make the oath date, you can call them in advance to let them know and to reschedule for another day (if you have a good reason). They give you the phone number to call on the oath letter.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
And to say that you are on vacation for a long time is not a good enough reason to delay the oath appointment. Serious reasons like attending due to illness in the family is reasonable. They were expecting you to be in Canada during the process, especially period between test and oath appointment, after all you wanted to become Canadian citizen right?

Try to look at it from the CIC agent's perspective. You get a call to delay the appointment because he/she left Canada after taking the test and submitted RQ request because he/she happened to be outside Canada and won't be back for a couple of months due to being on vacation. It doesn't reflect well on that caller requesting oath rescheduling.

bunuelbresson

Feb 12, 2014
screech339 said:
And to say that you are on vacation for a long time is not a good enough reason to delay the oath appointment. Serious reasons like attending due to illness in the family is reasonable. They were expecting you to be in Canada during the process, especially period between test and oath appointment, after all you wanted to become Canadian citizen right?

Try to look at it from the CIC agent's perspective. You get a call to delay the appointment because he/she left Canada after taking the test and submitted RQ request because he/she happened to be outside Canada and won't be back for a couple of months due to being on vacation. It doesn't reflect well on that caller requesting oath rescheduling.
I understand this point of view. However we just had our second child and I want to take my 5 weeks paternity leave to go celebrate this with my family back home. It is not feasible for me to pick other dates because of work constraints. I am living in Canada and planning to live here. Both my kids are Canadians and going on vacation wouldn't mean otherwise. Me and my wife contribute to society, pay plenty of taxes, respect the rules, and love this country.

I am going to take the risk. Worst case scenario is that I submit a new application. I don't mind waiting because I am planning to live in Canada.

Thanks for your feedback

applicant314

Star Member
Feb 9, 2014
As per CIC regulations, they close your case once you miss your oath notification. You can still contact your local office and inform them of your absence. From what I was told, they only care about the time you are not available, so they won't schedule your test during that period.
The reason becomes significant if you miss your Oath. This is where they check if you can provide evidence of unforeseen, extenuating circumstances.

My advise: contact them.