+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we Stay in Canada while waiting for MBA Program to start???

tst1980

Jul 25, 2015
Wife came to Canada to pursue MBA and started ESL classes. She got accepted by completing an ESL program at a university and is currently taking an IELTS + GMAT courses at another institution at the moment. (She wants to get into a bigger university than the one she was accepted in)

Her study permit expires at the end of March, and plans to take both IELTS and GMAT exam by then.
She plans on extending her study permit based on the acceptance she already has. Is this the right way to do it? we plan on staying in Canada until the program starts in September.

For the record, I am here with an open work permit which I am eligible for due to her being a student here.

thanks,

luvanuj

Jul 14, 2011
Toronto
If you study permit gets extended yes. You can change your university as long as the program you are given the study permit in remains the same.

Make sure you also extend your TRV visas.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

tst1980 said:
Wife came to Canada to pursue MBA and started ESL classes. She got accepted by completing an ESL program at a university and is currently taking an IELTS + GMAT courses at another institution at the moment. (She wants to get into a bigger university than the one she was accepted in)

Her study permit expires at the end of March, and plans to take both IELTS and GMAT exam by then.
She plans on extending her study permit based on the acceptance she already has. Is this the right way to do it? we plan on staying in Canada until the program starts in September.

For the record, I am here with an open work permit which I am eligible for due to her being a student here.

thanks,

What program she has finished in Canada so far? If just ESL, you need to think again (given the fact SP was issued for something else, and now planning for course in Sept 2016)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
J5M said:
Hi,

What program she has finished in Canada so far? If just ESL, you need to think again (given the fact SP was issued for something else, and now planning for course in Sept 2016)
I agree with this comment. More information is needed to understand the situation. What was the original study permit issued for?

tst1980

Jul 25, 2015
Follow up:
I guess I should have been more clear.... She PLANNED on going to a specific University.... her study permit was for ESL and it does not specify an institution.

Now she IS accepted at a program that starts in September. She no longer needs to continue with her ESL so in March she will end her ESL studies.

At this point she will just be waiting for other offers from different MBA programs.

So my question is: Since her SP ends in March as well, we plan on applying for a new SP based on the offer she has already received. Is it possible to be in Canada waiting for the program to start?

From what I know, in the SUMMER you are not obligated to study IF you have a permit. I also know, your permit is void if you stop studying for 90 days.

atmosphere99

Nov 27, 2014
Exact same situation with my spouse (ESL gap while waiting for degree start). Did you get any information on what to do?