+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we have only first and last name on Canadian IDs and passport ?

Angel89

Mar 14, 2019
Hi there, I just got my Canadian citizenship and I’d like to assume my spouse’s last name, and I’d like to have only my first name and last name on Canadian IDs and passport instead of full name ( first, middle and last name ) on it? The reason I want to do this way is because my fill Asian name is long, 4 names and there are mistakes about my name on photo card and health card ( I don’t have driver license because I don’t drive ), also it’s complicated for Canada to understand which one is my first name or middle name and last name. Does anyone have this experience before with first and last name on IDs or passport, please give me advices! Thank you so much !

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It depends on how you fill out forms. Sometimes you can use only first and last, but if you ever enter a middle name somewhere, you generally cannot get rid of it.

Angel89

Mar 14, 2019
It depends on how you fill out forms. Sometimes you can use only first and last, but if you ever enter a middle name somewhere, you generally cannot get rid of it.
Oh is it, I thought Canada won’t accept it and we have to fill all full name on IDs and passport

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It depends on the application form and what is required. If you are required to submit other ID as evidence for the identity, you may not have a choice.

I'm pretty sure I have some Canadian ID with only my first and last name, but because my passport had to have my birth certificate attached to the application, I ended up with my middle name in my passport (even though I don't like it)

Angel89

Mar 14, 2019
It depends on the application form and what is required. If you are required to submit other ID as evidence for the identity, you may not have a choice.

I'm pretty sure I have some Canadian ID with only my first and last name, but because my passport had to have my birth certificate attached to the application, I ended up with my middle name in my passport (even though I don't like it)
With only first and last name, make it short is better, everybody likes their own name, of course we prefer to put full name but then full and long name is not a good idea as they mess up our first name with middle name. Unless we apply to change our name, then it will be a different story, thanks for sharing with me !

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With only first and last name, make it short is better, everybody likes their own name, of course we prefer to put full name but then full and long name is not a good idea as they mess up our first name with middle name. Unless we apply to change our name, then it will be a different story, thanks for sharing with me !
You can always make a legal name change on your Canadian ID if you desires.

Angel89

Mar 14, 2019
You can always make a legal name change on your Canadian ID if you desires.
I’ve checked about legal name changes too but takes so much time and complicated, from the form I need a commissioner’s stamp and I don’t even know where to get it and how much I have to pay for that stamp, paperwork is never be easy

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I’ve checked about legal name changes too but takes so much time and complicated, from the form I need a commissioner’s stamp and I don’t even know where to get it and how much I have to pay for that stamp, paperwork is never be easy
Yes, legal name changes takes time. But it was much more straight forward if you get it done outside Canada at a Canadian consulate. Just fill in a form and return.