+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we bring pets with us?

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
Hi I have just received my study visa and planning to travel to Canada in Jan 2021. I was wondering if we can bring pets with us, or has anyone tried it during this pandemic?

I found these on IRCC
However, due to broad travel restrictions and limitations on non-essential travel, individuals, rescue organizations and adoptive families should postpone travel for the purpose of importing any animals, as their travel is being considered non-essential at this time.
I guess I am not traveling to import animals, but for essential purpose (education), i just bring my dog with me, so i guess this rule does not apply to me?

There are currently no restrictions on animal importation in Canada related to the COVID-19 outbreak. It is recommended, though, that individuals, rescue organizations and adoptive families postpone importing animals at this time.
Not recommended, but nothing stopping me to bring my dog with me right?

Also, should i mention my dog in my quarantine plan like how to keep it inside my accommodation for 2 weeks? I also rang Air Canada the other day and confirmed that there are several people also bring pets on flights, but unsure if they are just Canadian citizens bring their own pets home. Can international students also bring pets?

thanks

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Great thread, I want to travel with my dog as well. I've read about a lot of people doing so, but non during pandemic.
Yes I did. It was a very smooth experience the officer at the custom didn't even bother to look at any of the documents I had for my dog and just let us pass.
Could you share your trip details? I've read that it's usually a little more problematic if you have stopovers in USA. There's no direct flights from my country to Canada, I must stop at USA (Houston, Miami or NJ).

Kwithaer

Mar 17, 2024
For me, bringing your dog to Canada sounds like a wonderful idea. While there are recommendations to postpone animal importation due to the pandemic, it seems like your situation for essential purposes may not fall under those restrictions. As for mentioning your dog in your quarantine plan, it's always a good idea to include all necessary details to ensure a smooth transition. As for international students bringing pets, it's best to double-check with relevant authorities for specific guidelines. By the way, I stumbled upon some helpful articles at https://dragonfreak.com/guide about pet care if you're interested in unconventional pets like mine