+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply for PRTD twice?

Kirsty_A

Aug 17, 2017
Hi
Is it allowed to apply for PRTD more than once? I am doing my residency landing in Ontario in October 2017, but not moving to Canada until summer 2018. So my PR card will be at friend's address in Toronto, but I will need to make the following entries into Canada before I can collect it:
December 2017 - travel for pre-booked ski trip (B.C.)
Summer 2018: Arrival for residency

So I will need 2 x PRTD (1 for each of these entries)... Assuming I can't travel as a visitor with British passport and ETA once I become a PR?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Why not just get your friend to courier you the PR card?

Anytime you need it and as long as you meet the RO, you can apply for a PR TD. There is no limit.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Why twice, simply have your friend mail/ courier your PR card to you.

Cutting it fine for the December trip so may need a PRTD for that but not for summer if card is mailed to you by your friend.

Kirsty_A

Aug 17, 2017
Everything I've read says you can't have the card sent internationally? I've read that they have a chip in which is picked up by Canada Post on any international postings and they are seized (if found).

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
22-Apr-2016, Additional Doc Request 13-July-2016
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
22 August, further tests 18 Sep, 11 Oct Meds passed
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
PRTD is usually given for a period of 6 months single entry. However, one can request for a long term multiple entry one by including a cover letter having the reasons for the same. You can include a cover letter citing the reasons for a long term multiple entry PRTD.

Below extract is from link 'http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp'

"
What if I am living outside Canada on a long-term basis?

Usually, PRTD counterfoils are issued for a single entry to Canada. However, you can request a long-term multiple entry PRTD if you:

• meet the residency obligation; and
  • are living outside Canada on a long-term basis (for example, if you are a permanent resident accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse).
Include a cover letter that explains your circumstances and requests a multiple entry PRTD.

Multiple entry PRTD’s cannot extend beyond the expiry date of your passport."

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Everything I've read says you can't have the card sent internationally? I've read that they have a chip in which is picked up by Canada Post on any international postings and they are seized (if found).
Where did you read that as people post them overseas all the time especially new immigrants and it is not illegal to do so therefore no reason for Canada Post to intercept. Initial or renewed cards will only be mailed to an address in Canada but from there on should be no issue to have someone mail or courier.

As per post above you could try for a multi entry PRTD although in theory you would not meet the criteria so will probably need to apply for 2 single entry PRTDs . Or as said have your card mailed via postal tracking or courier after your December trip for which by the way you need to apply for a PRTD well in advance.

You will need a convincing cover letter for either PRTD application but ultimately your choice.

I would point out that with your initial landing in October there is always a chance that if you tell CBSA you will not be taking up residence until next summer they may tell you to apply for the PR card when you return.

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
There are literally no official words from IRCC, CIC, CBSA, Canada Post etc that remotely states this. You are reading conspiracy theories.

The only rule is that IRCC will not themselves mail the PR cards outside Canada, they will only mail cards to a Canadian residential address. But what you do with the cards afterwards, is up to you.

Reactions: jackan