+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply for PR from Canada and Australia at the same time?

aust_ca

Aug 5, 2020
Hello,

Now I am in Canada and I would like to apply for PR from Canada and Australia simultaneously. And based on my experience and job opportunity, then I will make a decision. Could you please guide me if I can apply for PR from both countries at the same time?

I would really appreciate it if you kindly share your comments.
Thank you

akmh1b

Mar 6, 2018
There is actually nothing stopping you from applying both the PRs but at some point you would have to decide which one you would choose. Every major country shares information now. Pick a country. Canada and Australia are such different countries. If they conduct background check simultaneously there might not be an issue but if let's say you get Australia PR earlier and in background check in Canada they figure you have Australia PR it may seem like you are just PR shopping. Say, if you got two PR's, which one would you choose. When you get this answer, choose that country and withdraw the other one. It may not cause issues at this time, but in the future both countries may ask you the question why you have two PR applications. So you can start both and decide mid way which one to withdraw.

Reactions: aust_ca

aust_ca

Aug 5, 2020
There is actually nothing stopping you from applying both the PRs but at some point you would have to decide which one you would choose. Every major country shares information now. Pick a country. Canada and Australia are such different countries. If they conduct background check simultaneously there might not be an issue but if let's say you get Australia PR earlier and in background check in Canada they figure you have Australia PR it may seem like you are just PR shopping. Say, if you got two PR's, which one would you choose. When you get this answer, choose that country and withdraw the other one. It may not cause issues at this time, but in the future both countries may ask you the question why you have two PR applications. So you can start both and decide mid way which one to withdraw.
Thanks a lot.
Because maybe now I am eligible for Australia PR, but for Canada it will probably be possible in next 7 or 8 months because of job offer and IELTS exam. On the other hand, I am not sure about job opportunities in Australia.

akmh1b

Mar 6, 2018
Again reiterating you can apply for both but say you get Australian PR before you apply for Canadian PR then you need to disclose in your Canadian PR application that you hold Australian PR. If you do not disclose it may be deemed as misrepresentation as canadian authorities have data sharing arrangements with Australia and will find out.

aust_ca

Aug 5, 2020
You can actually hold PRs of both countries. So yes, you can apply to both.
Thank you.
I want to make sure about background check. Because if now I apply for Australia, during this process, if I be eligible for Canada, Can I apply for Canada as well? once I want to apply for Canada there are 2 cases: 1) I got Australia PR 2) My application is in process for Australia.
In both cases, can I apply for Canada?

akmh1b

Mar 6, 2018
Thank you.
I want to make sure about background check. Because if now I apply for Australia, during this process, if I be eligible for Canada, Can I apply for Canada as well? once I want to apply for Canada there are 2 cases: 1) I got Australia PR 2) My application is in process for Australia.
In both cases, can I apply for Canada?
You can apply for both. In Canadian application for PNP there is document called Intent to Reside in which you are required to give reasons why you would like live in a particular province and there are residency requirements. When you apply for PR in Canada they expect you to Reside in Canada. As long as your application can convince IRCC that your PR is not a backup plan it should be fine. During citizenship interview they ask people to give up any other permanent residency that they have. If you go through this forum, you'll notice that people were asked to give up US green cards during their citizenship process. By having permanent residency of another country, you're making it pretty obvious that your goal is not to Reside in Canada but for convenience without true intent to reside in Canada. In the past some people have held multiple PRs but the best and if the day you can only sail one boat.