+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply for inland sponsorship for my husband?

drnafisa

Oct 10, 2014
Dear

My husband has a current business visit visa and he visits Canada regularly for business purposes and also to meet me and my daughter. His visit visa will expire after two years.

We have not yet applied for the family sponsorship, as we would like to explore our options.

With the new rules for an inland sponsorship, that an expedited OWP can be applied for, I would therefore like to know if my husband decides to relocate in the near future, can we apply as an inland sponsor application under his current business visit status?

Kindly advise.

regards
dr

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
He can apply for PR with an inland app as long as he is inside Canada and has valid status here.

Note that once an inland app is submitted, it's advised he not leave Canada for any reason for the approx 2+ years of processing time, else if refused re-entry to Canada for any reason his inland app would be cancelled.

If he wants ability to travel in and out of Canada during processing, an outland app is advised.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
He can apply for PR with an inland app as long as he is inside Canada and has valid status here.

Note that once an inland app is submitted, it's advised he not leave Canada for any reason for the approx 2+ years of processing time, else if refused re-entry to Canada for any reason his inland app would be cancelled.

If he wants ability to travel in and out of Canada during processing, an outland app is advised.
Has the rule officially changed, that now requires status for an Inland applicant?

We know that the language in the Inland Guide has changed, but so far nothing else has changed (anywhere else).

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ponga said:
Has the rule officially changed, that now requires status for an Inland applicant?

We know that the language in the Inland Guide has changed, but so far nothing else has changed (anywhere else).
I mean in terms of them wanting to take part in the new OWP pilot program, he will need valid status.

drnafisa

Oct 10, 2014
Rob_TO said:
I mean in terms of them wanting to take part in the new OWP pilot program, he will need valid status.

Correct, as Rob suggested - meaning the new pilot program for OWP.

So can I please confirm that the short answer - Yes, that we can apply for inland sponsorship as long as my husband has a valid status even though it is a business visit visa?

regards
dr

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
drnafisa said:
Correct, as Rob suggested - meaning the new pilot program for OWP.

So can I please confirm that the short answer - Yes, that we can apply for inland sponsorship as long as my husband has a valid status even though it is a business visit visa?

regards
dr
Yes he can be here by any status (visitor, study, worker, etc), it really doesn't matter. As long as at time of submitting inland app he's not here illegally, meaning he's entered with valid status but has then stayed after that status has expired without applying to extend it.