+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply Citizenship with expired Passport ( Minor )

sandhuhar

Apr 27, 2010
Dear Members,

Pls advise weather we can apply for Canadian Citizenship with expired PP of my child. His PP got expired in Feb 2018 ( His Pic on PP is of 3 Years and now he is 8 Years old) .
Regards,
Harman

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
Yes, you can apply without a currently valid passport.
You will need to explain why you are not submitting a copy of a passport valid from the date of your expired passport until the date of the application. Note: obtaining a renewed passport now will still leave a gap.
You may be asked about this at the interview, but your simple explanation should readily suffice. Nothing to worry about.

sandhuhar

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, you can apply without a currently valid passport.
You will need to explain why you are not submitting a copy of a passport valid from the date of your expired passport until the date of the application. Note: obtaining a renewed passport now will still leave a gap.
You may be asked about this at the interview, but your simple explanation should readily suffice. Nothing to worry about.
Thanks for your advise.
It missed from my mind about the expiry Date. Pls advise should i mention it in the Letter or any other valid reason such as Not immediate travel plan . Any advises ?
(

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
Thanks for your advise.
It missed from my mind about the expiry Date. Pls advise should i mention it in the Letter or any other valid reason such as Not immediate travel plan . Any advises ?
(
Remember, passport is not a mandatory document when you don't need to travel abroad. No one can force you to renew and obtain passport if you don't need it.

I sent for my son's application:

• the I94 summary results to prove that we did not travel

• The explanation in the field 9D of the form CIT0003:
Had no plans to leave Canada during the time period and therefore didn't renew his passport. The expired passport N.xxxx is his only travel document. The proofs that he was in Canada during that time is ... (I94/school records)​

• and sent an additional letter:
"Please note that my child’s passport has been expired on November x,xxxx and I have not renewed his passport since then. Also, I would like to let you know that he has no other passport or travel document other than this expired passport.

Summary:
name:xxx
Passport number: xxxx
Issue date: xxx
Expiry date: xxxx
Renewed: NO"

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The letter seems a bit overkill.
OP's kid doesn't need to prove his presence in Canada, there is no residence obligation for him, unless the application is made for the child alone, and both parents are not canadians.
A quick "The passport had not been renewed as we had no plan to leave the country" on the relevant section of the application form should be enough :)

sandhuhar

Apr 27, 2010
Remember, passport is not a mandatory document when you don't need to travel abroad. No one can force you to renew and obtain passport if you don't need it.

I sent for my son's application:

• the I94 summary results to prove that we did not travel

• The explanation in the field 9D of the form CIT0003:
Had no plans to leave Canada during the time period and therefore didn't renew his passport. The expired passport N.xxxx is his only travel document. The proofs that he was in Canada during that time is ... (I94/school records)​

• and sent an additional letter:
"Please note that my child’s passport has been expired on November x,xxxx and I have not renewed his passport since then. Also, I would like to let you know that he has no other passport or travel document other than this expired passport.

Summary:
name:xxx
Passport number: xxxx
Issue date: xxx
Expiry date: xxxx
Renewed: NO"
Thanks for ur advise.
Dear Pls Advise,

Is a Letter with Picture and Personnel Details from A Day Care is acceptable as ID for Citizenship Requirement.
My Son's School Record does have a Pic ( Black& white) but there is no Date of birth .

sandhuhar

Apr 27, 2010
The letter seems a bit overkill.
OP's kid doesn't need to prove his presence in Canada, there is no residence obligation for him, unless the application is made for the child alone, and both parents are not canadians.
A quick "The passport had not been renewed as we had no plan to leave the country" on the relevant section of the application form should be enough :)
Thanks for ur advise.

Dear Pls Advise,

Is a Letter with Picture and Personnel Details from A Day Care is acceptable as ID for Citizenship Requirement.
My Son's School Record does have a Pic ( Black& white) but there is no Date of birth .

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks for ur advise.

Dear Pls Advise,

Can't say honestly, sorry :/

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

Two (2) pieces of the child’s personal identification

Both pieces of identification should show your child’s name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.

Examples include:

• school record
  • health insurance card
If there is information on both sides of your child’s personal identification documents, provide a photocopy of both sides.

For a child under school age, identification such as:

• a passport page containing his or her photo and personal details, or
  • a hospital or immunization record, may be provided