+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can Toronto international high school studnets give birth?

James Lyrie-Stewart

Star Member
Jan 13, 2013
My girlfriend and I are international high school students in Toronto and my girlfriend just missed one period, which has made me guessed she is unfortunately pregnant, though there is no symptom of pregnancy yet, and we have VHIP, the Visa Student Health Insurance Program. She repulses at the thought of abortion...so can we give birth considering our status? If yes, will the cost be covered by insurance?

I am so worried...
Thanks a million.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
James Lyrie-Stewart said:
My girlfriend and I are international high school students in Toronto and my girlfriend just missed one period, which has made me guessed she is unfortunately pregnant, though there is no symptom of pregnancy yet, and we have VHIP, the Visa Student Health Insurance Program. She repulses at the thought of abortion...so can we give birth considering our status? If yes, will the cost be covered by insurance?

I am so worried...
Thanks a million.
You should check the insurance documents but generally speaking, pregnancy and birth are not covered by private insurance coverage. However it's possible that she may be. Not all policies offer the same options.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Midwives in Ontario are free, regardless of OHIP status.

http://www.ontariomidwives.ca/midwife/q-a
What does it cost to use a midwife?
Midwifery services are completely funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, so women do not pay for care out-of-pocket. Women who are not currently covered by OHIP can still receive free midwifery care.

When should I contact a midwife?
It is best to contact a midwife as soon as you find out you're pregnant. Not only is demand for midwives high, but it is also beneficial to access prenatal care at the beginning of your pregnancy. Some clinics do have openings for clients later in pregnancy. Call anytime. You do not need a referral to see a midwife.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
eileenf said:
Midwives in Ontario are free, regardless of OHIP status.

http://www.ontariomidwives.ca/midwife/q-a
What does it cost to use a midwife?
Midwifery services are completely funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, so women do not pay for care out-of-pocket. Women who are not currently covered by OHIP can still receive free midwifery care.

When should I contact a midwife?
It is best to contact a midwife as soon as you find out you're pregnant. Not only is demand for midwives high, but it is also beneficial to access prenatal care at the beginning of your pregnancy. Some clinics do have openings for clients later in pregnancy. Call anytime. You do not need a referral to see a midwife.
Note, however, that any hospital costs incurred by the mother during the birth of the child would have to be paid for. The child itself would be covered by virtue of its Canadian citizenship.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swede said:
Note, however, that any hospital costs incurred by the mother during the birth of the child would have to be paid for.
That's definitely possible.
There is the option to avoid the hospital and costs though through home birth, if a pregnant woman is interested in doing so. Of course, if one needs or decides to transfer to the hospital mid-labour (which is not that uncommon) they might be subject to hospital fees.

I mention this as an option. Clearly there are a million other things to consider first, namely whether she is pregnant or not, whether they decide to continue the pregnancy or not, whether the insurance covers pregnancy, whether they are interested and comfortable with midwifery care or prefer a hospital setting, an obstetrician or a family doctor.

So:
1. Take a pregnancy test
2. Check the insurance policy. I would actually guess that pregnancy-related expenses are covered. They are covered for the UHIP. http://www.uhip.ca/Default.aspx?pg=0cde49a7-6614-4ac1-bae1-7841ef3e849a#b06d9a47-d539-4107-9edd-f4731ae5e911

mrFoce

Star Member
Oct 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-01-2013
Med's Request
03-11-2013
Med's Done....
07-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2013
LANDED..........
04-01-2014
eileenf said:
This may be true (depending on the specifics of the Original Poster's insurance), but since home birth is an option for low risk pregnancies in Ontario, hospital costs are not a given. if one needs or decides to transfer to the hospital mid-labour (which is not that uncommon) hospital costs would not be covered under the midwifery exception.

I mention this as an option. Clearly there are a million other things to consider first, namely whether she is pregnant or not, whether they decide to continue the pregnancy or not, whether the insurance covers pregnancy, whether they are interested and comfortable with midwifery care or prefer a hospital setting, an obstetrician or a family doctor.

So:
1. Take a pregnancy test
2. Check the insurance policy. My instinct is that pregnancy-related expenses are probably covered. They are covered for the UHIP. http://www.uhip.ca/Default.aspx?pg=0cde49a7-6614-4ac1-bae1-7841ef3e849a#b06d9a47-d539-4107-9edd-f4731ae5e911
^^

But I doubt high school students got coverage, university students makes sense, but high school :-X