+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can spouse stay in Canada while applying for PR?

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by pxlxyp, Sep 19, 2019.

  1. Hi again to everyone!

    I am going to apply for an inland sponsorship for my spouse, who is currently with me in Canada on an eTA. His eta is valid for 5 years but as a Singaporean, he is allowed to stay in Canada for 90 days.

    We plan to submit our package next week and just wanted to confirm that he is allowed to stay in Canada with me while his application is being processed?

    A bit nervous!

    Thank you :)
  2. Are you also submitting an Open Work Permit applucation at the same time?
  3. Hello again Hurlabick!

    Yes, we plan to submit an OWP application together with our package.
    I also understand that for an inland sponsorship - we are not allowed to leave Canada AT ALL. Is this true?
  4. By submitting an OWP, you have implied status while it is processed, assume 4 months.

    It is true that leaving Canada at all can be risky. If for whatever reason the PA is demied re entry, they may consider the sponsorship abandoned and cancel it. Other will chime in I am sure.
  5. The default stay for a visitor is 6 months. Unless he received a Visitor Record or a stamp in his passport with a specific departure date, he has 6 months.

Share This Page