+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Spouse Open Work Permit holder travel to Canada before the student?

IndiaZodiac

Mar 29, 2023
Hi,

My wife applied for her student visa and I applied my open work permit together with her. We also applied for our 2 children visa. All of us got the visa together.

Now I wish to travel first to Canada and find suitable accommodation for my family so that they can settle down easier as our kids are small.

My question is that is it possible for the SOWP holder to travel first to Canada even before the student has landed there?

Any guidance will be highly appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

My wife applied for her student visa and I applied my open work permit together with her. We also applied for our 2 children visa. All of us got the visa together.

Now I wish to travel first to Canada and find suitable accommodation for my family so that they can settle down easier as our kids are small.

My question is that is it possible for the SOWP holder to travel first to Canada even before the student has landed there?

Any guidance will be highly appreciated.
Primary applicant must arrive first or with other applicants

Reactions: IndiaZodiac

IndiaZodiac

Mar 29, 2023
Dear @canuck78 ,

Sorry to bother you with another question. My wife has got the student permit for course starting in Sept 2023. And I have got the spouse open work permit. We plan to land in Canada in mid July.

I know my wife cannot start any part time work as a student until her studies start in Sept. However, can I as the spouse own work permit holder, start working once I land in Canada in July, or even I will have to wait till my wife's studies start in Sept and only then can I start a job?