+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Spouse Open Work Permit Holder start working before spouse starts studies in Canada?

IndiaZodiac

Mar 29, 2023
My wife has got her study permit and I applied for my spouse open work permit along with her and also received it.

We are still in India and will travel together to canada 4 to 5 weeks before her classes start.

I know as a student she can't work before start of her studies. But can I, as spouse open work permit holder, start working before she commences her studies?

Or will I also have to wait for her to first start her studies and then I am eligible to work?

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
What you have is an approval and TRV stamped in India I am guessing
Your actual WP will be issued at port of entry

There have been people who started working remotely from India but that has to all be properly declared in your future applications

Good Luck

Some jobs also need a SIN # to run a payroll - So not sure if you ca work without one [even remote]

Reactions: IndiaZodiac

IndiaZodiac

Mar 29, 2023
Thanks @BA101 for your explanation.

Kindly clarify just 1 point. Once I receive the work permit when I land in Canada can I start working immediately or will I have to wait for my spouse studies to formally start and then I will be eligible to work?

As my spouse is study visa holder and she cannot work until her classes start in September. Does his rule apply to me also as spouse open work permit holder? ( I won't work remotely from India. Will start only when I reach Canada)

Regards

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
My wife has got her study permit and I applied for my spouse open work permit along with her and also received it.

We are still in India and will travel together to canada 4 to 5 weeks before her classes start.

I know as a student she can't work before start of her studies. But can I, as spouse open work permit holder, start working before she commences her studies?

Or will I also have to wait for her to first start her studies and then I am eligible to work?
No, you can only start working after she starts studying.

Reactions: IndiaZodiac