Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2009
Doc's Request.
04-16-2010
I'm currently sponsoring my husband from Lebanon and our application is processing in Damascus.

We just got an email with a request for various missing documents.

Part of this request was for my 2007 notice of assessment.

When I filed my application, they asked for the previous years' assessment which would have been for 2008 because we sent our application in October, 2009. I was approved to sponsor him.

If I send them my 2007 notice, it shows that I received income assistance (But I went off income assistance February, 2008 and haven't been back on it since)

Given the fact that I have already satisfied immigration and met the criteria to sponsor my husband and been approved, I don't feel that the Damascus office should even be asking me for my 2007 assessment...... it sounds like they're on a witch hunt to me.

Can anyone tell me if they can cancel my sponsorship based on this or if it really matters?

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Wait for a more educated opinion, but for now, relax. I believe the determining time period is when you are in process, not prior.

EgyCan

Apr 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
DAM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-12-2009
AOR Received.
07-01-2010
File Transfer...
31-01-2010
Passport Req..
??-??-2010
Are you the sponsor? This is very strange! Financial assessment should be over once your application leaves Canada!

CPC_M is the office responsible to say Yes you can sponsor or No you can't!

I can't imagine that they will refuse it while you live in Canada. Send it but also send copies from your last period pay stabs. This means you have a job, or send them your 2009 tax assessment if you received it by now.

This is all I can say, hope it is helpful and good luck

LouisaMarie

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2009
Doc's Request.
04-16-2010
Uhhhhh tgchi13..... I'm IN PROCESS, this is why I'm worried. I wouldn't ask if my application hadn't been processing yet.

:-X

LouisaMarie

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2009
Doc's Request.
04-16-2010
EgyCan..... I plan to send them 2007, 2008 AND 2009 so they can see that I'm not on income assistance and haven't been in some time.

We have a one year old son.

If they deny him entrance into Canada I can dispute it, as it's against his right to raise his son. I'm just trying to determine if they would deny him and make me go through he hassle of having to dispute it.

LouisaMarie

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2009
Doc's Request.
04-16-2010
Or take away my sponsorship approval after they've already given me the go-ahead.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
LouisaMarie said:
Uhhhhh tgchi13..... I'm IN PROCESS, this is why I'm worried. I wouldn't ask if my application hadn't been processing yet.

:-X
Your financial status while your in process is what I meant. That you are not currently receiving social assistance. BTW, you are not in process at the moment - your ability to sponsor was determined. It's the rest that is in process. BUT having reread part of the website, "received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability" they DO include past tense. And yes, they can change the decision they have made. Additionally, they can look harder to find other disqualifying factors. Good luck.

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
That is strange. I'd agree, sending 2007, 2008 and 2009 would seem prudent to show that you're currently working and not receiving social assistance. The sponsorship is only usually reassessed in applications where there is a minimum income requirement (i.e. not spousal sponsorships).

The only other possible reason I can think for them wanting verification of the sponsor's financial situation, is if they were thinking of refusing under A39. Bear in mind this is speculation, but it's the only thing I can think that would cause them to request financial information from the sponsor after the sponsor has been approved in a minimum-income exempt case.

"Financial reasons

39. A foreign national is inadmissible for financial reasons if they are or will be unable or unwilling to support themself or any other person who is dependent on them, and have not satisfied an officer that adequate arrangements for care and support, other than those that involve social assistance, have been made."

So, as well as showing that adequate support exists (i.e. your income) it might also be prudent to include proof that your husband is and will be able and willing to support himself when he arrives in Canada. If he's working at the moment, you could include proof of that.

If I'm wrong, then sending that extra info will just be irrelevant and they should ignore it. I can't see that it would hurt.

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
As for past tense, that's not a problem. The actual regulations are quite clear, you can't be on social assistance at all when you file the application, until it is approved. However, if you came off social assistance, you're eligible to sponsor the very next day - having previously been on social assistance is not grounds for refusal:

"Requirements for sponsor

133. (1) A sponsorship application shall only be approved by an officer if, on the day on which the application was filed and from that day until the day a decision is made with respect to the application, there is evidence that the sponsor
(k) is not in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability."

LouisaMarie

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2009
Doc's Request.
04-16-2010
THANK YOU! ;D

That's what I thought..... if they try to take away my sponsorship I'm going to make a HUGE stink and get the media involved.

I

iarblue

Well the only thing i can think of why they are asking for this is just to make sure its legal.They are likely looking to see if you recieved a significant amount of money in a lump some........payment for marriage/citizenship understand they do not check your income status they are just confirming the marriage is ligit.

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I suppose that might be possible, but I doubt that people who receive payments to help people subvert Canadian immigration typically declare it on their tax return.

It's a pedantic point, but if they were to refuse under A39 that wouldn't technically be "taking away your sponsorship".

I wouldn't get too stressed about it yet. Just send the info we've already discussed - most likely they will approve.

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
One other thing you could do is order the CAIPS notes to find out why they're requesting the info.

If they've given you a deadline to send the info by, you'll still need to meet that, which may mean you have to send the info before getting your CAIPS notes, but it would at least tell you for sure what's going on with the file.

http://immipedia.ca/Ordering_FOSS_and_CAIPS_notes

LouisaMarie

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2009
Doc's Request.
04-16-2010
Thanks for the info, I'm going to do that because I have a right to now why I'm being asked for such documents when I've already appeased CPC Mississauga..... The only thing that I can think of is that we got married in 2008, and it wasn't till around a year later that we finally got our application sent in (but for other reasons).... I think that maybe they wanna catch me because they might think I waited till I filed my 2008 taxes so they wouldn't see on that notice of assessment that I was on Income Assistance at one point in time.

I called Immigration today and was told that it doesn't matter, as long as I wasn't in receipt of Income Assistance at the time my application was put in and I didn't misrepresent myself on my application (which I didn't), then they can't do anything to revoke my sponsorship approval.

Even so, in 2007 I wasn't married to my husband when I DID receive Income assistance so the whole thing is completely irrelevant.