+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can SOWP of LMIA holder study in Canada as local student?same lower fees

Natalipy

Apr 28, 2024
Hello, my husband and me as in Canada now on owp but they will end in September 2024, we don’t know if his wp will be extended or that we can apply for Alberta tech accelerated pathway and get to get a bridging wp by then, as we are still waiting for his education evaluation. He has a solid employer and won’t mind getting LMIA to obtain a closed work permit. I heard somewhere that spouse of a closed work permit holder can study in college as a local student, for local student fee ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, my husband and me as in Canada now on owp but they will end in September 2024, we don’t know if his wp will be extended or that we can apply for Alberta tech accelerated pathway and get to get a bridging wp by then, as we are still waiting for his education evaluation. He has a solid employer and won’t mind getting LMIA to obtain a closed work permit. I heard somewhere that spouse of a closed work permit holder can study in college as a local student, for local student fee ?
You pay international fees. You are a domestic student once PR. If your OWP expires in September then you want to apply for a study permit and you need to pay first year tuition and show about $26k in funds.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You will only pay local student fee after you become PR.