+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone go to Canada and work one month prior to commencement of classes?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
waqar azhar said:
Can someone go to Canada and work if visa is approved, one month prior to commencement of classes?
No. Working before your classes start is illegal and a violation of your study permit - which makes you deportable from Canada.

cute_guy

Feb 7, 2013
scylla said:
No. Working before your classes start is illegal and a violation of your study permit - which makes you deportable from Canada.
This is a general acceptable sense that prevails as on date......But there is no official statement which says anything about coming few days before & working....I didn't found any official word on this !

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

cute_guy said:
This is a general acceptable sense that prevails as on date......But there is no official statement which says anything about coming few days before & working....I didn't found any official word on this !
1. You have to be a student to work off campus/on campus.
2. You are not a student until you commence classes.

cute_guy

Feb 7, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

1. You have to be a student to work off campus/on campus.
2. You are not a student until you commence classes.
If I'm enrolled for classes & have a valid student ID, that also makes me a legitimate student, even though if classes have not yet started.

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
Can someone go to Canada and work if visa is approved, one month prior to commencement of classes?
Good question!

Below is context from CIC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

They have mentioned work "during regular academic sessions and work full-time during scheduled breaks" which indicates you need to wait until your studies start. Still, if you're in Canada right now, you can just give a call to CIC helpline #1888-242-2100. You don't have to give them any of your personal details, simple ask your question. And trust me they don't bite!

You can also use this Self assessment tool to determine your eligibility:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-assess.asp
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<context>

Work off campus
Study permit holders in Canada may gain work experience by working off campus while completing their studies.

As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to:

work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and
work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

To qualify, you must:

have a valid study permit,
be a full-time student,
be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and
be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (e.g., if you are no longer a full-time student during an academic session.)

Use the self-assessment tool to see if you are eligible to work off campus without a work permit.
You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (e.g., if you are no longer a full-time student during an academic session.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------