+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone explain the user rating system?

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
If the rating system is used arbitrarily it will defeat the purpose!

Like I know the handful of members whose opinions I've found to be consistently of significant value to me but am I suppose to give them a good each time? Maybe I don't know. Also seems to potentially be misused in the reverse - if one of the more knowledgeable members (and yes, I am thinking of you ariell) were to say something that others decided to rate negative then it would appear unfairly that she may be unknowledgeable. Then you may have a true troll that no one bothers to rate and their 0 would imply they are more knowledgeable.

Could be confusing to new members (luckily this wasn't in place when I joined!) I read the FAQS after this came up and didn't see any info on how it's intended to be used - per post or per member or other. Nothing is perfect though and this forum really is a public service, and one I'm thankful for, so I don't think I'll be asking that they set that any member could only rate any post once. I think I'll just use my own judgement and my rating is pretty simple; how badly did they confuse me. Rate the advice, not the advisor!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know there is no "automatic ban" based on the rating; to be banned a moderator has to take action.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
Karlshammar said:
As far as I know there is no "automatic ban" based on the rating; to be banned a moderator has to take action.
i didn't even know this forum had mods

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
Karlshammar said:
Sure does. :)
is there a way to differentiate them from other users ?

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
I just assumed they were the VIP rated members!

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
tgchi13 said:
I just assumed they were the VIP rated members!
i always thought the type of member you are went based on how many post you have
good thing this has nothing to do with our actual immigration process or we'd all be screwed

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
I believe you are right, NYCtoNB but think that VIP is reserved for the moderators, who possibly receive their moderation status in part due to the number of posts over a period of time.

Maybe the moderators will demystify this!

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
I think moderators themselves do not participate in discussion, but guard the rules of the forum.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tgchi13 said:
I believe you are right, NYCtoNB but think that VIP is reserved for the moderators, who possibly receive their moderation status in part due to the number of posts over a period of time.

Maybe the moderators will demystify this!
Nope, 5000 posts for VIP is all you need, and it doesn't make you a moderator.

PMM

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
PMM, are you not going to demystify this?

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
T'was I who did the deed. I want full credit -- maybe super-hero status from the forum moderator (is there one?).
LOL!! ;D I laughed so hard when I read that and your above comment. You are MY superhero! Thank you Toby. I appreciate it.

Thanks also very much to you, Karlshammar for your good words here and for the time that you came to my defense in the other post. :)

And thanks to whoever voted for me. Wow, now I'm actually in the positive! I think I started out yesterday at -8

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Haha ariell I also put a "good" rating for you. Your score was baffeling me for quite some time!! Far too unfair for anyone who hasn't seen the advice and positive energy you have brought to this forum.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They have just recently set up this system. I believe they expect that eventually the people who give out good information will have a high rating and people who give bad information will have a low rating but since the system is new, nobody has a very high or low rating yet.

The number of posts doesn't really say everything. Some users have a high number of posts because they keep asking the same questions over and over again.

Yes, it could turn into a popularity contest but I guess we'll see.

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Honestly, I have no intent on turning it into a popularity contest myself. Leon, I see you and PMM both have the highest ratings, and rightfully so. I know you comment was not directed towards me, but I would also like to add on that note that I gave ariell and others here "good" ratings simply because they have offered me valuable advice, and I appreciate it. I view it in a way of saying "thanks". Hopefully others do that same! Unfortunately, it seems ariell was/is victim of someone's personal vendetta as I see no other reason she would have had such a negative rating.

I definitely agree that a person's posts say nothing of what they are giving to this forum. There is no doubt my posts are primarily questions, encouragement or one-liners, as I am still relatively new to this process (still completing my application). However, I have done my best to answer questions I have knowledge of (information you can find on the guides/personal experience)... I tend to avoid responding to case specific questions mostly because I fear giving uninformed advice where others would be more qualified.

Wow, well, long story short... I agree with you. ;D