+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can refugee claimant move to other province

Fortnite555

Feb 23, 2020
Hello everyone, I filed my refugee application in January 2020 and got eligibility interview in March.I want to know that after how many days do a person get work permit?
Can I move to Toronto as I filed my case in Montreal and if I move will I be able to get social assistance

Life-survivor

Feb 17, 2020
Hello everyone, I filed my refugee application in January 2020 and got eligibility interview in March.I want to know that after how many days do a person get work permit?
Can I move to Toronto as I filed my case in Montreal and if I move will I be able to get social assistance
You can move to Toronto anytime after or before your eligibility interview but you need to change your lawyer though and I think you can request your eligibility interviewer to transfer your file in Toronto.

Fortnite555

Feb 23, 2020
Right now I am not getting any welfare as my eligibility interview is in March. I get to know from another person that you give the address of here only and receive welfare and you can work on cash.and come back on your hearing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Right now I am not getting any welfare as my eligibility interview is in March. I get to know from another person that you give the address of here only and receive welfare and you can work on cash.and come back on your hearing.
What you are describing is welfare fraud and it is a crime. If caught you could be asked to pay all the money back you received in error, end up in jail and lose your protected status and possibly be deported. Not sure why you didn’t go to Toronto right away if your plan was to go there all along. Assume you walked across the illegal border as well. if you have a legal aid lawyer in Quebec you should inform them that you are going to Toronto. You will have to contact legal aid in Ontario when you arrive in Ontario. If you pay for your own lawyer there is no need to change but expect to Quebec for your hearing and any meetings. You should apply for a work permit so you can start working.

Reactions: jddd

Fortnite555

Feb 23, 2020
Ok I applied for work permit along with application.how long after eligibility interview it will take to get work permit

Life-survivor

Feb 17, 2020
We should be sincere with the country who's providing us protection. I don't like when people do that or give this bad advise to someone.
This is fraud and if you get caught then forget about your Canadian dreams.

Reactions: Jahprovideesp

Fortnite555

Feb 23, 2020
We should be sincere with the country who's providing us protection. I don't like when people do that or give this bad advise to someone.
This is fraud and if you get caught then forget about your Canadian dreams.
I do respect this country alot.only I want to know that is it possible.do people do like that