+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can PR father apply for kids citiezen after he become one ?!

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Hi All,

I became PR in 2013 along with my wife and our son, in june 2018 i sent application to renew PR for myself only as i complete 2 years and six months,i got my new PR in october 2018

at the same time my wife and our son ( 6 years old ) renounced their PR status as they didnt meet their RO,only less than 3 months in the last 5 years

i applied for family sponsorship for my wife and 3 kids ( 2 daughters born outside canada ).a month ago and i didnt get any response so far.

my questions are as follows:

1- if i apply for the canadian citizenship now and if GOD is willing and i got the citizenship lets say in a year, and at the same time my wife and kids hopefuly get their PR status again, can i apply for canadian citizenship right away for the kids as soon as i get my citizenship and they get their PR status ?

2- will there be complications for my wife and son in regards to their new PR application under family sponsorship since they had previous PR status and they renounce it becuz of not meeting RO, will they raise doubts or will it be a smooth process and they might get it sooner than the declared processing time,since proofs to establish that wife and kids r my family had been prooved since they have previous PR and the girls had TRP before?

3 - is there a way to expedite the process of family sponsorship as it will take 12 months and that woube be next winter in whcih kids will miss enrolling in schools in canada and it would be hard to remove them from shcool mid of the year, especially that they had a PR status in canada before but we renounce it becuz of not meeting RO

High park

Nov 16, 2016
Hi All,

I became PR in 2013 along with my wife and our son, in june 2018 i sent application to renew PR for myself only as i complete 2 years and six months,i got my new PR in october 2018

at the same time my wife and our son ( 6 years old ) renounced their PR status as they didnt meet their RO,only less than 3 months in the last 5 years

i applied for family sponsorship for my wife and 3 kids ( 2 daughters born outside canada ).a month ago and i didnt get any response so far.

1- if i apply for the canadian citizenship now and if GOD is willing and i got the citizenship lets say in a year, and at the same time my wife and kids hopefuly get their PR status again, can i apply for canadian citizenship right away for the kids as soon as i get my citizenship and they get their PR status ?

2- will there be complications for my wife and son in regards to their new PR application under family sponsorship since they had previous PR status and they renounce it becuz of not meeting RO, will they raise doubts or will it be a smooth process and they might get it sooner than the declared processing time,since proofs to establish that wife and kids r my family had been prooved since they have previous PR and the girls had TRP before?

3 - is there a way to expedite the process of family sponsorship as it will take 12 months and that woube be next winter in whcih kids will miss enrolling in schools in canada and it would be hard to remove them from shcool mid of the year, especially that they had a PR status in canada before but we renounce it becuz of not meeting RO
Your minor children can be included on your citizenship application / you may apply for their proof of citizenship (by descent) after you obtain canadian citizenship - so the answer is yes.

No problems whatsoever. It is your right as a Canadian PR to sponsor your family. My father renounced his PR a few years ago for not meeting residency obligations and within months my mother applied to sponsor him. The whole process I’d say took a little under a year.
This MAY only be a concern and raise red flags if after successful sponsorship, your wife once again does not meet her RO and you go theough the process again. (Key word here being May).

Not that I am aware of, but remember 12 months is the average processing times - it could take less time. However remember that minors do not require a study permit to study in Canada. So hypothetically, if your family comes to Canada on a TRV while their sponsorship application is pending (which is perfectly fine, you’d only have to demonstrate dual intention SEE IRPA S.22(2)) your kid can start school and wait for his PR to be processed.

Note: it may be worth looking into if your son is already a PR since you are, and he is a minor, and I am assuming you declared him within your application. However, I am unsure since he “voluntarily” renounced his status.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Yorker13

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Your minor children can be included on your citizenship application / you may apply for their proof of citizenship (by descent) after you obtain canadian citizenship - so the answer is yes.

No problems whatsoever. It is your right as a Canadian PR to sponsor your family. My father renounced his PR a few years ago for not meeting residency obligations and within months my mother applied to sponsor him. The whole process I’d say took a little under a year.
This MAY only be a concern and raise red flags if after successful sponsorship, your wife once again does not meet her RO and you go theough the process again. (Key word here being May).

Not that I am aware of, but remember 12 months is the average processing times - it could take less time. However remember that minors do not require a study permit to study in Canada. So hypothetically, if your family comes to Canada on a TRV while their sponsorship application is pending (which is perfectly fine, you’d only have to demonstrate dual intention SEE IRPA S.22(2)) your kid can start school and wait for his PR to be processed.

Note: it may be worth looking into if your son is already a PR since you are, and he is a minor, and I am assuming you declared him within your application. However, I am unsure since he “voluntarily” renounced his status.

Hope this helps.
1. I don't think you quite understand citizenship by decent. The children can only receive their citizenship by decent if at the time of their birth one parent was a citizen, who didn't receive their citizenship through decent. The father is a PR, not a citizen and the children are already born.
2. The children are not PRs as yet and can't be included in the father's citizenship application.
3. Non PR/Citizens children DO require a study permit to study in Canada.
4. The son is not a PR as the OP claims they voluntarily renounced their PR status.

Reactions: Joshua1

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

1. Once you are a citizen and your children are PRs, yes, you can apply for their citizenship right away.

2. The app will be processed as normal, not faster or slower.

3. No, your app will not be expedited. You don't get priority over everyone else.

High park

Nov 16, 2016
HI

1. I don't think you quite understand citizenship by decent. The children can only receive their citizenship by decent if at the time of their birth one parent was a citizen, who didn't receive their citizenship through decent. The father is a PR, not a citizen and the children are already born.
2. The children are not PRs as yet and can't be included in the father's citizenship application.
3. Non PR/Citizens children DO require a study permit to study in Canada.
4. The son is not a PR as the OP claims they voluntarily renounced their PR status.
1 Descent is not the correct concept, you’re right.

2 but since the child is a minor he can be added to his fatber’s citizenship application without meeting RO. Important: this would only be applicable once the father successfully sponsors the son and he is once again a PR (which was the premise of OP’s question). My answer would still be yes.

3 this is the text of IRPA s.30(2) proving his son would be able to study without a permit:

“(2) Every minor child in Canada, other than a child of a temporary resident not authorized to work or study, is authorized to study at the pre-school, primary or secondary level.”

4 again, the child is a minor, while the father is a lawful PR. I was just telling him to check as I am unsure. Regardless, he should sponsor him asap.

Reactions: Yorker13

Yorker13

May 27, 2013

2 but since the child is a minor he can be added to his fatber’s citizenship application without meeting RO. Important: this would only be applicable once the father successfully sponsors the son and he is once again a PR (which was the premise of OP’s question). My answer would still be yes.

3 this is the text of IRPA s.30(2) proving his son would be able to study without a permit:

“(2) Every minor child in Canada, other than a child of a temporary resident not authorized to work or study, is authorized to study at the pre-school, primary or secondary level.”

4 again, the child is a minor, while the father is a lawful PR. I was just telling him to check as I am unsure. Regardless, he should sponsor him asap.
thank you very much High Park

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4

Just reiterating that this is true i.e. for instance if a parent applies from outside of Canada for a work permit based on a job offer, their kids under the age of 6, get temp resident visas (with visitor record). The only two docs required by schools are a) kids trv and b) parent's work permit.

For above the age of six, cic suggests applying for open study permit. In practice, either of above would work.