+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can PR Cards be shipped from Canada to US?

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Hi All,
I landed in Toronto on October 09th, 2015 and had returned to the US to resume my job in a week's time. My PR cards were recently received by my relative in Canada. Is it allowed for the PR cards to be shipped from Canada to US? I received some conflicting information on this - one source said there is a treaty between US and Canada and the PR cards can be shipped from Canada to the US while other source said that it is not allowed for PR cards to be shipped out of Canada, even if it is US.

I wanted to check with people on forum if someone had tried to ship PR Cards from Canada to the US. If it is allowed, it would be great because then I would not need to apply for PRTD whenever I am travelling back.

Appreciate your inputs and information!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
There are no restrictions to either mail or courier PR cards any where in the world just that immigration will not themselves ship PR cards outside of Canada. Your relative can either use standard mail or courier if concerned about delivery.

A specific treaty between Canada and US for PR card shipments thats a new one not heard that before and no such thing as said immigration will not send PR cards outside Canada nothing to do with the US.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Bs65 said:
There are no restrictions to either mail or courier PR cards any where in the world just that immigration will not themselves ship PR cards outside of Canada. Your relative can either use standard mail or courier if concerned about delivery.

A specific treaty between Canada and US for PR card shipments thats a new one not heard that before and no such thing as said immigration will not send PR cards outside Canada nothing to do with the US.
Thank you for your response buddy! Say if I receive the PR cards by post, then will it be an issue when I am re-entering Canada? This is because they would have the details that I entered Canada the first time on the 1 time visa (for landing) and then was not in Canada when the PR cards were received. Not sure if this would be an issue?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
yodheydhara said:
Thank you for your response buddy! Say if I receive the PR cards by post, then will it be an issue when I am re-entering Canada? This is because they would have the details that I entered Canada the first time on the 1 time visa (for landing) and then was not in Canada when the PR cards were received. Not sure if this would be an issue?
No.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Guys,
Appreciate all of your inputs here. Has anyone done this yet - asking your friend or relative to courier the PR cards from Canada and then using those PR cards to enter Canada for the first time after landing??

This is because I still getting some conflicting information from other sources and I do not want to take any chances.

Another option for me would be to apply for PRTD and once I am there in Canada, I can get the PR cards shipped to my address at the time I am in Canada. But in PRTD application they ask for some kind of assurance that one is going to stay in Canada for the period that is equivalent to the period required for keeping your PR status. Also, I looked at the form IMM 5524 E - the form needs permanent address in Canada which I do not have and will not have during my next visit to Canada.

Any idea or alternative options? Has anyone experienced a similar situation?

hriday_26

Nov 7, 2016
Is there any further updates on this please? Does aanyone done this yet - asking your friend or relative to courier the PR cards from Canada to India and successfully re entered to Canada without any trouble?

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
No further updates in my case yet. I may be applying for PRTD and go there, but not finalized yet.

Nuff_Love

Star Member
Aug 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yodheydhara said:
No further updates in my case yet. I may be applying for PRTD and go there, but not finalized yet.
I think you could ask in this group.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/express-entry-applicants-from-jamaica-t315829.0.html;msg5402183#msg5402183

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
yodheydhara said:
I landed in Toronto on October 09th, 2015 and had returned to the US to resume my job in a week's time. My PR cards were recently received by my relative in Canada. Is it allowed for the PR cards to be shipped from Canada to US? I received some conflicting information on this - one source said there is a treaty between US and Canada and the PR cards can be shipped from Canada to the US while other source said that it is not allowed for PR cards to be shipped out of Canada, even if it is US.

I wanted to check with people on forum if someone had tried to ship PR Cards from Canada to the US. If it is allowed, it would be great because then I would not need to apply for PRTD whenever I am travelling back.
This is a non-issue. Your relative can certainly mail the PR card to you, anywhere in the world. (I would recommend using a service with tracking).

BTW - before you plan on going the route of the PRTD - you should check processing times. Last time I looked, for the USA, it took 2 months.