+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can PR be revoked?

Blaze1987

Aug 4, 2019
canadian born citizen here. Basically got used for financial gain and set up. Im so stupid to believe him I normally wouldnt consider this however after 6 years he suddenly left one day sent a text saying he was buying a home for his family he brought over while i paid all our expenses 6 years. He is laughing about this now telling me I should have known and being cold which makes it much more real to me. He was TFW he applied on his own as express entry through AINP nomination program

-2013 early we got together
-2013 dec we had a child
-2013 dec he officially moved in
-early 2016 he tried getting PR officer found messages of me on his phone. misrepresentation case hired lawyer got a reinterview granted with CBSA
- Unsure what he said he asked me not to come to interview. he got PR
- Dec 2016 his legal wife and daughter came somehow on family sponsorship (we were common law at this time)
- May 2019 he suddenly leaves coincidently close to citizenship with all the money he was saving while i paid everything.

we lived together Dec 2013 to May 2019. He never lived with his sponsors here in Canada. They came 2016.

A little background from day 1 he told me him and his legal wife were separated but cant get a divorce in their country. All throughout our relationship. There were alot of red flags however he reassured me. His family (brothers mother ect... ) considered us a family and reassured me too so I didnt question it to much.

I dont know much about immigration but I never understood how the legal wife came here while having a living relationship to someone else.

Im trying to figure out specifically what he may have lied about in this process since he hid alot from me (i know red flag stupid me).

- i know for certain he lied about where he was living the whole time. He always made excuses that he had to put he was living with his brother.

- I know he lied to CBSA officer about our relationship. How else can she come. I suspect he told them since we had a son he was just visitting (hes trying to claim that to me now a big insult) He kept telling me until they were able to get legal divorce here he couldnt claim common law with me and that our relationship wasnt valid to the government.

Im not sure what they ask on forms to know what else he wasnt truthful about.

If he wasnt laughing about all this I wouldnt be so upset. But we had a child he barely sees now and its affected both of us so badly emotionally and financially. The only reason I believed this process was his family.... Im pretty sure they had no clue. He always had excuses to anything I questioned...

I have no money for a lawyer because of all this I have to do it myself. Do I have any rights? is it true what he says our common law means nothing because he wasnt legally divorced? even though he wasnt living together with them here? he is laughing saying there is nothing I can do... because of his son here with me... I dont find this stuff funny but he does... our son was affected....

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
canadian born citizen here. Basically got used for financial gain and set up. Im so stupid to believe him I normally wouldnt consider this however after 6 years he suddenly left one day sent a text saying he was buying a home for his family he brought over while i paid all our expenses 6 years. He is laughing about this now telling me I should have known and being cold which makes it much more real to me. He was TFW he applied on his own as express entry through AINP nomination program

-2013 dec we had a child
-early 2016 he tried getting PR officer found messages of me on his phone. misrepresentation case hired lawyer got a reinterview granted with CBSA
- Dec 2016 his legal wife and daughter came somehow on family sponsorship (we were common law at this time)
- May 2019 he suddenly leaves coincidently close to citizenship with all the money he was saving while i paid everything.

we lived together Dec 2013 to May 2019. He never lived with his sponsors here in Canada. They came 2016.

A little background from day 1 he told me him and his legal wife were separated but cant get a divorce in their country. All throughout our relationship. There were alot of red flags however he reassured me. His family (brothers mother ect... ) considered us a family and reassured me too so I didnt question it to much.

I dont know much about immigration but I never understood how the legal wife came here while having a living relationship to someone else.

Im trying to figure out specifically what he may have lied about in this process since he hid alot from me (i know red flag stupid me).

- i know for certain he lied about where he was living the whole time. He always made excuses that he had to put he was living with his brother.

- I know he lied to CBSA officer about our relationship. How else can she come. I suspect he told them since we had a son he was just visitting (hes trying to claim that to me now a big insult) He kept telling me until they were able to get legal divorce here he couldnt claim common law with me and that our relationship wasnt valid to the government.

If he wasnt laughing about all this I wouldnt be so upset. But we had a child he barely sees now and its affected both of us so badly emotionally and financially. The only reason I believed this process was his family.... Im pretty sure they had no clue. He always had excuses to anything I questioned...

I have no money for a lawyer because of all this I have to do it myself. Do I have any rights? is it true what he says our common law means nothing because he wasnt legally divorced? even though he wasnt living together with them here? he is laughing saying there is nothing I can do... because of his son here with me... I dont find this stuff funny but he does... our son was affected....
As they landed in the same year, his wife and child were likely included in his PR app, not sponsored.

You can report him through the link posted above but given that they were married with a child and he apparently had a separate address from you, your report would likely get no more than a cursory read before being dismissed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

-2013 dec we had a child

From an immigration perspective, the most you can do is submit a fraud report to IRCC. It will be up to IRCC if they chose to investigate and decide there is sufficient evidence to do anything about this. They may say that no fraud was committed and classify your relationship as an affair - hard to say and will depend on what evidence you submit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/protect-fraud/report-fraud.html

In terms of any rights you have regarding support payments for you and/or your child or any division of financial assets, this isn't an immigration issue. It's a family law issue. You would need to hire a lawyer specializing in family law or see if legal aid can help.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You may have ground to sue for fraud on a personal level (as a civil case) and of course for child support. But unless he used you/your information to obtain the PR, that cannot be affected. Just for curiousity, which country is he from?

Blaze1987

Aug 4, 2019
You may have ground to sue for fraud on a personal level (as a civil case) and of course for child support. But unless he used you/your information to obtain the PR, that cannot be affected. Just for curiousity, which country is he from?

philipines.... But he withheld our relationship and living situation. If he ditched once they landed... I could see how that would be termed affair but he didn't he stayed 2.5 years more living with me. I have conversations with his family and between us/thousands of photos acknowledging our relationship and his separation with his wife....

His only reasoning to me why he had to claim the separated wife on his application was that was the only way he could get his daughter here... She wouldnt allow her to come without her.

I feel so stupid I fell for all this. Again it was only because his family I believed it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
philipines.... But he withheld our relationship and living situation. If he ditched once they landed... I could see how that would be termed affair but he didn't he stayed 2.5 years more living with me. I have conversations with his family and between us/thousands of photos acknowledging our relationship and his separation with his wife....

His only reasoning to me why he had to claim the separated wife on his application was that was the only way he could get his daughter here... She wouldnt allow her to come without her.

I feel so stupid I fell for all this. Again it was only because his family I believed it.
Submit the fraud report to IRCC with all of that evidence. That's really the only option available to you from an immigration perspective.

Jul 29, 2019
I humbly also suggest try it out with RMCP. I speculate RMCP, as a federal level agency, may have jurisdiction in terms of immigration, although I may be very wrong.

Now he told you upfront that he has a wife so you cannot get him for Bigamy.

Another option is to legally consider suing for child support. Regardless of his marriage, he cannot get out of the legally required child support. Sometimes, certain organizations offer free support and advice for this kind of issue. You have to seek them out.

Still another one is to consider the possibility of him losing custody. However, this part is tricky, as you really need a lawyer.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I humbly also suggest try it out with RMCP. I speculate RMCP, as a federal level agency, may have jurisdiction in terms of immigration, although I may be very wrong.

Another option is to legally consider suing for child support. Regardless of his marriage, he cannot get out of the legally required child support. Sometimes, certain organizations offer free support and advice for this kind of issue. You have to seek them out.

Still another one is to consider the possibility of him losing custody. However, this part is tricky, as you really need a lawyer.
RCMP can't do anything.

Reactions: canuck78

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I would not be that certain about it.
Yes he has a legal wife. However you are allowed to enter new common law after separation from your wife (no divorce is needed there). And despite common law relationship does not equal marriage, there are still some rights there.
Additionally requirements on common law are much less formal (unlike for marriage). And you can ended in such relationship even without specifically agreeing to it (like nobody need to ask you "do you want to become my common law"?). Just the acts itself (like 1 address, living together, common affaires and such) will put you in common law. And of course while you are in common law with somebody you cannot claim somebody else as your dependent spouse on your immigration documents. That alone is misinterpretation.
Can it lead for him and his family potentially being revoked PR? Yes it would be possible. As for one thing, your PR can be revoked if it is found that it was acquired by fraud. And that is despite him using PNP instead of spousal sponsorship. (here it would heavily depend on his back then conditions for that PNP).
By best guess it depend just how angry person you are and how much you want to go after this case. I would suggest a lawyer for starter and yes you can also send something to the immigration office regarding his situation.
I would say it really depends on how versed a lawyer (or lawyers) is and how much trouble can you cause him.
Again it is up to you what you want to do with it.

Blaze1987

Aug 4, 2019
Yes he has a legal wife. However you are allowed to enter new common law after separation from your wife (no divorce is needed there). And despite common law relationship does not equal marriage, there are still some rights there.
Additionally requirements on common law are much less formal (unlike for marriage). And you can ended in such relationship even without specifically agreeing to it (like nobody need to ask you "do you want to become my common law"?). Just the acts itself (like 1 address, living together, common affaires and such) will put you in common law. And of course while you are in common law with somebody you cannot claim somebody else as your dependent spouse on your immigration documents. That alone is misinterpretation.
Can it lead for him and his family potentially being revoked PR? Yes it would be possible. As for one thing, your PR can be revoked if it is found that it was acquired by fraud. And that is despite him using PNP instead of spousal sponsorship. (here it would heavily depend on his back then conditions for that PNP).
By best guess it depend just how angry person you are and how much you want to go after this case. I would suggest a lawyer for starter and yes you can also send something to the immigration office regarding his situation.
I would say it really depends on how versed a lawyer (or lawyers) is and how much trouble can you cause him.
Thats the thing even his family here knew we were together and even prior to him trying to bring them here. im in every photo with them ect. and many conversations in messages about them getting divorced once here. im conflicted... normally i am not this kind of person but he is laughing about the situation saying i should have known. how could i when your family considered you separated. glad yo know i have options. thanks

Jul 29, 2019
Thats the thing even his family here knew we were together and even prior to him trying to bring them here. im in every photo with them ect. and many conversations in messages about them getting divorced once here. im conflicted... normally i am not this kind of person but he is laughing about the situation saying i should have known. how could i when your family considered you separated. glad yo know i have options. thanks

I think the real question is what is the price you want to pay for justice?

I was a victim of felonies[yes, I meant plural] before and do understand at least to a great degree your suffering. Justice delayed is justice unserved. Not to mention the terrible feeling that criminals run amok while the innocent suffer.

Some people may say you are not forgiving enough or just unreasonably angry? Really? Would you compensate my losses including reputation, money, time and lost the opportunities?

Do not let anyone tell what you should or should not do. It is a free nation, you just have to decide what the price you are willing to pay for justice is.
Yes, you may make him "pay" for his deeds, although it may not meet your definition of just punishment.
Yes, you do not have unlimited resources. But at least you tried your best and would not be full of regrets later on with what-ifs
Yes, at a certain point, you would move on. But I would argue moving on is almost impossible unless justice is served or exhaustion of your options determined by yourself.

But do understand it is your own call. You make the choices and have to live with the consequences.

Jul 29, 2019

Today I learned about common-law marraige.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Today I learned about common-law marraige.
There was the time I was surprised as well that people were able to claim just to be separated from their previously married spouse (not even legally separated) and then they can take in different partner as his or her spouse for immigration purposes. In order for that to happen they should not live together with the previous one for certain period of time and then live with the new person for some time.
In this case he was at the same time living with the new person (not just a love affair, but really living together) and at the same time claiming relationship with his legal wife (his application for PR is a proof of that). so with that said he actually did commit a fraud at very least. (for what I know it might even be classified as a bigamy).
From what I understand at least 1 child is involved in this matter and it might still be nasty regardless if she pursue it or not (hello battle for right for the child). That is exactly the moment where she wants to show who that partner is and just how little that child has to gain from him. If he had not problem to lie her for years, what would stop him to use the child as a "hostage".

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There was the time I was surprised as well that people were able to claim just to be separated from their previously married spouse (not even legally separated) and then they can take in different partner as his or her spouse for immigration purposes. In order for that to happen they should not live together with the previous one for certain period of time and then live with the new person for some time.
In this case he was at the same time living with the new person (not just a love affair, but really living together) and at the same time claiming relationship with his legal wife (his application for PR is a proof of that). so with that said he actually did commit a fraud at very least. (for what I know it might even be classified as a bigamy).
From what I understand at least 1 child is involved in this matter and it might still be nasty regardless if she pursue it or not (hello battle for right for the child). That is exactly the moment where she wants to show who that partner is and just how little that child has to gain from him. If he had not problem to lie her for years, what would stop him to use the child as a "hostage".
Bigamy would have required marriage to both women.