+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can PGWP holder re-enter with a valid STUDENT visa?

Arash_3021

Sep 21, 2016
Hi, I have PGWP and my student visa is still valid, I'm planing to visit home and come back, is my student visa is valid for re-entry given that I'm not student anymore? should I apply for TRV? I appreciate if you share me any link

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need to be holding a valid TRV to re-enter.

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Arash_3021 said:
Hi, I have PGWP and my student visa is still valid, I'm planing to visit home and come back, is my student visa is valid for re-entry given that I'm not student anymore? should I apply for TRV? I appreciate if you share me any link
Yes you can I did the same, it worked for me. I called cic to confirm and all they said is I need a valid visa, if I still have my study visa valid why would I cancel it and then re apply for the same TRV. I made 2 trips by using that TRV. Forst time airlines did question me but I just told them to contact cic if they have any concerns and explained my part.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Navprateek said:
Yes you can I did the same, it worked for me. I called cic to confirm and all they said is I need a valid visa, if I still have my study visa valid why would I cancel it and then re apply for the same TRV. I made 2 trips by using that TRV. Forst time airlines did question me but I just told them to contact cic if they have any concerns and explained my part.
The OP just needs a valid TRV for travel plus given they also have a PGWP plus the study permit is still valid they have reason enough to show any airline that they have a genuine reason to travel back to the country.

vish22

Star Member
Oct 12, 2014
Hi, I have the same case as you. I completed my masters in December 2016. My TRV is valid till March 30, 2017. Also I got my PGWP approval message in CIC account. I am travelling back to Canada on Feb 10 , 2017. What should I say to the immigration officer if he asks me any question. Should I tell him that I completed my studies and got my PGWP or something else. Please reply. Thanks

Visitor89

Star Member
Dec 16, 2016
vish22 said:
Hi, I have the same case as you. I completed my masters in December 2016. My TRV is valid till March 30, 2017. Also I got my PGWP approval message in CIC account. I am travelling back to Canada on Feb 10 , 2017. What should I say to the immigration officer if he asks me any question. Should I tell him that I completed my studies and got my PGWP or something else. Please reply. Thanks
i travelled back to my country with the same situation. At the port of entry they saw my TRV and asked what do i do here. Informed them about the PGWP and they let me in. i called CIC before travelling and they said the same that all u need is a valid TRV.

Visitor89

Star Member
Dec 16, 2016
Yes, you should be fine as you are coming back in Feb. I was scared too but nothing really happened. i have traveled to India and US and both the times they just checked my TRV and let me in. Make sure you carry your study permit and PGWP just in case. good luck!

Manojkumar5

Mar 14, 2016
@vish22
I have seen ur question regarding PGWP + TRV(student visa). What happened in ur case at the port of entry? I'm in same situation now.
Thanks in advance

Manpreetkmannu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Yes, you should be fine as you are coming back in Feb. I was scared too but nothing really happened. i have traveled to India and US and both the times they just checked my TRV and let me in. Make sure you carry your study permit and PGWP just in case. good luck!
I have just completed my course and my study permit as well as Visa is valid till 31st August 2018. I have applied for work permit yesterday and planning to visit my parents back in India (for a month) at the end of this month say from june 25 to july 25.
My concern is, I may not get my work permit by june 25. So can i go to India and come back on the basis of my current study permit and visa (which is valid till 31st August).

I am confused. Any suggestions or opinions based on experience would be appreciated

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have just completed my course and my study permit as well as Visa is valid till 31st August 2018. I have applied for work permit yesterday and planning to visit my parents back in India (for a month) at the end of this month say from june 25 to july 25.
My concern is, I may not get my work permit by june 25. So can i go to India and come back on the basis of my current study permit and visa (which is valid till 31st August).

I am confused. Any suggestions or opinions based on experience would be appreciated
As previously mentioned TRV is all you need. I would carry with you proof that you have applied and paid for you PGWP just in case.