+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAN ONE APPLY FOR NEW PR CARD BASED ON NEW LAST NAME?

munanicole

Oct 30, 2009
CAN ONE ACTUALLY APPLY FOR A NEW PR CARD, ONLY TO REFLECT A NEW LAST NAME BASED ON MARRIAGE?

OR EVEN A NEW PASSPORT?

THNX

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

munanicole said:
CAN ONE ACTUALLY APPLY FOR A NEW PR CARD, ONLY TO REFLECT A NEW LAST NAME BASED ON MARRIAGE?

OR EVEN A NEW PASSPORT?

THNX
1. Yes to both. Passport office http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc153.pdf CIC PR Card http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp

PMM

munanicole

Oct 30, 2009
Thanks PMM

Just looked at the websites. Processing times for PR card (in my case) is 102 days and the website goes on to warn about significantly increased waiting periods due to some technical challenges. I didnt envisage this sort of delay, so I was wondering : can i not simply send out our applications with my maiden name and do this while change of name after our application has been processed. We are already looking at 12 - 22 months waiting period as it is, without considering the new PR card application delay + the new passport?

Would CIC think our marriage phony if i dont change my name? Or should i say "does having the same last name s my husband count for proof of a genuine marriage"?

Thnx

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

munanicole said:
Thanks PMM

Just looked at the websites. Processing times for PR card (in my case) is 102 days and the website goes on to warn about significantly increased waiting periods due to some technical challenges. I didnt envisage this sort of delay, so I was wondering : can i not simply send out our applications with my maiden name and do this while change of name after our application has been processed. We are already looking at 12 - 22 months waiting period as it is, without considering the new PR card application delay + the new passport?

Would CIC think our marriage phony if i dont change my name? Or should i say "does having the same last name s my husband count for proof of a genuine marriage"?

Thnx
No, they wouldn't consider it phony, lots of women in Canada keep their maiden name after marriage. It is the law in Quebec that women keep their name after marriage in Quebec.

PMM