+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can one apply for a visitor visa after getting married and then...

karinosa

Oct 24, 2009
can one apply for a visitor visa after getting married and then...and then apply for PR within Canada? or would it be better to just do the outside Canada application? would it damage the PR application if she was denied the visitors visa? if she was given a visitor visa then apply within Canada would this look bad in the process as she would remain in Canada?

Thanks for the advice!

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can certainly try if you like, but chances are very high that you will not get a visitor's visa, especially if you were previously denied one. With a spouse in Canada it's VERY difficult to convince an IO that you intend to leave after your visitor visa expires so most applicants are denied when they have a PR application in process. No, if you were able to actually get a visitor visa it would not look bad to apply from within Canada but you'd have to of course actually get the visitor visa first. Refusal of a visitor visa would have no effect on a PR application.

karinosa

Oct 24, 2009
thank you so much Ariell, we'll see what they decide to do! they just don't want to wait the two years appart... we'll see what happens

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't blame them! I wouldn't want to wait 2 years either. Though it could definitely be shorter if they're lucky.

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
One thing to add to what ariell has said is that this couple must be careful to not mis-represent themselves on their visitor visa either. as things will be scrutinized upon application of the PR sponsorship, and anything CIC sees as a misrepresentation or non-truth would put that PR application in a bad light, and possibly grounds for denial.

KL8N

Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What about this situation? My wife sends the PR application from outside of Canada, where we both live, and we include the mailing address as my Canadian address. Returning to Canada midway through the application. Entering on a Tourist visa, and receiving the completed visa while within Canada. Sorry to hijack another persons post, just the info in here seems to conflict with some earlier advice I got...thanks!

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KL8N said:
What about this situation? My wife sends the PR application from outside of Canada, where we both live, and we include the mailing address as my Canadian address. Returning to Canada midway through the application. Entering on a Tourist visa, and receiving the completed visa while within Canada. Sorry to hijack another persons post, just the info in here seems to conflict with some earlier advice I got...thanks!
It's not contradictory at all. If you are able to get the tourist visa, great, but definitely no guarantees that you will get it, ESPECIALLY with a PR application in process. Karinosa is referring to a case where the woman she is asking about has already been denied a tourist visa 2x, so the chance of her getting one now with a PR application in process is next to 0%.

Pablojinko

Oct 30, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Caracas, Venezuela
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2009
As someone said a few post back, sorry to hijack this post but I'm in a similar situation.

I finished my dossier today and I'm ready to send it on monday. My wife is our country where we got married. She plans to apply for a visitor visa so she can come to Canada for christmas and after she´ll return to our country to wait for her PR.

My lawyer told me there's no problem in applying for a visitor visa but he told us to make very clear for the embassy the fact that my wife doesn't want to make harm to the PR process by staying here longer than permitted.

My wife talked to high ranked officer in the Canadian Embassy in our country and he told her the same thing than my lawyer, that there is no problem to apply her to apply for the visitor visa

So that's what I want to compare informations.

Thanks for your help

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Again, no one is telling you NOT to apply. There is no harm in applying but certainly no guarantees that you will get the visitor visa. I can guarantee you that most people on this board that have tried have been denied. And that would be especially true if the spouse applying for the visitor visa does not have strong ties to his/her homeland in the way of a job, family or a home.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
ariell said:
It's not contradictory at all. If you are able to get the tourist visa, great, but definitely no guarantees that you will get it, ESPECIALLY with a PR application in process. Karinosa is referring to a case where the woman she is asking about has already been denied a tourist visa 2x, so the chance of her getting one now with a PR application in process is next to 0%.
here is our case, after two denials we got a visitor visa while our application is in process. maybe it mainly depends on officer's mood and all the proof one provides.

Pablojinko

Oct 30, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Caracas, Venezuela
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2009
Suin said:
here is our case, after two denials we got a visitor visa while our application is in process. maybe it mainly depends on officer's mood and all the proof one provides.
That's what I heard also. Everybody have told us that it's important to bring all the proofs possible to show that the only purpose of the trip is to spend time the your spouse. But in any case it depends mainly in the officer's judgement.

Anyway, my wife it's going to apply this week and with the help of God and a little luck she'll be here for Christmas. I'll tell you how it went

Thanks everybody for your replies

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Have a good luck and keep us updated!

JarJes

Mar 22, 2009
Yes it all depends upon mood of IO...I got denied 3X...we tried our best to explained our situation but all went vain...sometime it kinda of boring but on other hand rules are always rules...be patience and cool.

I completely agreed that there is no harm to try tho...