+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my wife visit the US for a few days while her spousal application is being processed with Canada

James W

Star Member
May 21, 2017
Hi! I am applying for a spousal visa for my wife. My wife would like to visa NY for a few days. Can she leave Canada while the application is being processed?

Thanks in advance!

James

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
Hi! I am applying for a spousal visa for my wife. My wife would like to visa NY for a few days. Can she leave Canada while the application is being processed?

Thanks in advance!

James
Technically, she can. However, it isn’t recommend. Her readmission to Canada is entirely at the hands of the CBSA officer at the PoE. If you’ve started an inland application and are consequently refused admission after leaving Canada and attempting to re-enter, the application will be considered abandoned, and will be declined.

Is she visa exempt for Canada? If not does she a TRV?

James W

Star Member
May 21, 2017
Thank you 1887CAN! My wife is from Japan and I believe she is visa exempt to enter Canada and the US. She has ESTA and ETA too!
We haven’t sent to the application yet though. Once we send it, she would like to go to NYC for a few days in Oct.
Will she have any trouble returning to Canada?

Thanks!

James

Reactions: 1887CAN

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you 1887CAN! My wife is from Japan and I believe she is visa exempt to enter Canada and the US. She has ESTA and ETA too!
We haven’t sent to the application yet though. Once we send it, she would like to go to NYC for a few days in Oct.

Thanks!

James
Most likely she won't have any issues at the border. Always some small chance she will.

Reactions: 1887CAN

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018

Thanks!

James
Just as scylla has said, as a visa exempt foreign national, the chances of any issues are slim. My guess would be that provided you bring your copy of the application package with you and answer any question truthfully, you’ll be fine.

There’s always a small risk, IRCC state that readmission is never guaranteed, but it seems to be the case that far more people are allowed back in without issues, that those who end up being grilled in secondary. Good luck!

Reactions: scylla

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Just as scylla has said, as a visa exempt foreign national, the chances of any issues are slim. My guess would be that provided you bring your copy of the application package with you and answer any question truthfully, you’ll be fine.

There’s always a small risk, IRCC state that readmission is never guaranteed, but it seems to be the case that far more people are allowed back in without issues, that those who end up being grilled in secondary. Good luck!
If the Liberal government allowed the illegals to come in from US, I am sure the OP's visa exempted spouse can come back in as well.