Can my wife sponsor me?

visanews

May 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello, My Canadian girlfriend(she is from Quebec) and I are to marry within the next two months. We have been together for 15 months. The fact that she is a mature student and therefore not earning(receives a grant) is she able to sponsor me? I have ample savings to live without work for upto 2 years and understand that no evidence of earnings from her side is required to be my sponsor(i could be wrong). To speed the process, we are going to apply outland(UK) although living in Quebec where I will be on a tourist visa studying french, i understand i may be called for an interview but the inland process seems to take alot longer. However, our intention is to spend christmas and new year visiting my family/friends in the UK. Is this advisable? My worry is not be allowed back into the country.

Any thoughts on the above would be most welcome :)

theedge

Star Member
Feb 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-10-2011
File Transfer...
?
Med's Done....
29-08-2011
Interview........
?
Passport Req..
?
From what I've heard, they might not let you come back in the country once you leave. I've been told by many people that they often refuse spouse who don't require any visa before landing. So I guess you would be rolling the dice.

Your girlfriend is getting a grant? not a loan right?
I know that there is many type of grant. Is it because she has dependent or disabilities? or she's from a low income family?

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
06-12-07/09-24-08/09-27-11
visanews said:
hello, My Canadian girlfriend(she is from Quebec) and I are to marry within the next two months. We have been together for 15 months. The fact that she is a mature student and therefore not earning(receives a grant) is she able to sponsor me? I have ample savings to live without work for upto 2 years and understand that no evidence of earnings from her side is required to be my sponsor(i could be wrong). To speed the process, we are going to apply outland(UK) although living in Quebec where I will be on a tourist visa studying french, i understand i may be called for an interview but the inland process seems to take alot longer. However, our intention is to spend christmas and new year visiting my family/friends in the UK. Is this advisable? My worry is not be allowed back into the country.

Any thoughts on the above would be most welcome :)
How long dies she have left in her studies? I would think (just speculating) that if she only has a year or so left, it shouldn't be an issue (combined with your savings).

If you want to come and go to Canada, I would really suggest Outland. You are from a visa exempt country so you shouldn't have trouble coming and going...you should be able to just cross the US border...but maybe someone else has more experience with that topic.

Just with inland, if you leave and they don't let you back in, you will lose your application and will have to start again...

Lynn

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Not yet heard of a British spouse with too many issues returning to Canada if they leave during the processing. Outland is definitely the way to go if your processing office is London, I see no advantages to applying Inland if you're British and have a fairly uncomplicated case.

brighton_travel

Aug 25, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 2 2011
Med's Done....
July 2011
you mentioned - your girlfriend is in Quebec - in this case, your application should to Immigration Quebec, getting the CSQ first...

I know they have different forms...

dyj2010

Star Member
Apr 24, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2011 /CSQ received 08-07-2011
AOR Received.
21-06-2011
File Transfer...
30-05-2011
Med's Done....
30-03-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
03-02-2012
brighton_travel said:
you mentioned - your girlfriend is in Quebec - in this case, your application should to Immigration Quebec, getting the CSQ first...

I know they have different forms...
Wrong. You need to send all the papers to Immigration Canada and then when the sponsor get approved you send the papers to Qc.

The difference is that there is a few papers that are not the same for Canada (that you dont need to fill up for CIC).

visanews

May 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys, many thanks for your replies.........

To answer your questions:
1. My girlfriend receives a grant not a loan. The equivalent as a student in the Uk would receive to help towards study.
2. She has just under 2 years left to study.

I have looked at the immigration pages and note that no evidence of income is required from the sponsor if the person they are sponsoring is the spouse. This goes in our favour based on the fact that we are going to get married anyway. This also speeds up the process and is quicker if we apply outland, right?

My intention is to stay in Quebec, go to language school( very expensive, if anyone knows of a cheaper way other than online, let me know) and apply outland. is this possible? We want to go to the UK for Christmas and new year for 2 weeks then return.

I am stressing somewhat, based on all the things I have read, what to say at immigration in Montreal if questioned. I was in Quebec this year for 3 months from mid Feb to mid May( my girlfriend has been with me since where I have been working in Asia). Honesty has always been my way but, would I be setting off alarm bells if I say that I am visiting my girlfriend and going to language school on a toursit visa? Hopefully stressing for no reason!

Thanks again :)

theedge

Star Member
Feb 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-10-2011
File Transfer...
?
Med's Done....
29-08-2011
Interview........
?
Passport Req..
?
For the language school, I think the QC gov. can provide you with free French classes if thats what your looking for

mirjahan

Jul 5, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2011
Med's Done....
18-04-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2012
theedge said:
For the language school, I think the QC gov. can provide you with free French classes if thats what your looking for
Yes free french class and provide tranportation fee and some oher amount too once you get quebec selection certificate.
First you have to go pass by CIC

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
visanews said:
1. My girlfriend receives a grant not a loan. The equivalent as a student in the Uk would receive to help towards study.
2. She has just under 2 years left to study.
She can sponsor you. This grant is not welfare. Though she does not need an income to sponsor you, the visa officer does want to see 1. how you will support yourselves once you have your PR, and 2. that you have made plans for your life together. So include details of all your investment and other income, and your savings, and explain your plan for how you will support yourselves.
I have looked at the immigration pages and note that no evidence of income is required from the sponsor if the person they are sponsoring is the spouse. This goes in our favour based on the fact that we are going to get married anyway. This also speeds up the process and is quicker if we apply outland, right?
Yes, outland going through London is much faster than inland.

We want to go to the UK for Christmas and new year for 2 weeks then return.
I am stressing somewhat, based on all the things I have read, what to say at immigration in Montreal if questioned. I was in Quebec this year for 3 months from mid Feb to mid May( my girlfriend has been with me since where I have been working in Asia). Honesty has always been my way but, would I be setting off alarm bells if I say that I am visiting my girlfriend and going to language school on a toursit visa? Hopefully stressing for no reason!
People with a UK passport are almost always let in - so don't worry about that. You can just say you are coming to visit. If your language course is less than 6 months, you can study without a study permit. If it is longer, you should apply for a study permit. So if the course is longer than 6 months, don't mention it when you come in.
You can come in as a tourist, but you can also send in your PR application, and then tell the border official that you have applied for PR, and show the receipt and other paperwork. They'll then give you a visitor record. People are usually let in this way.

visanews

May 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the advice. Very very helpful.