+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my wife extend her visitors visa in canada?

dpgc33

Nov 1, 2013
Hello, I'm a little stressed out me and my wife filled out the outland application in July. we have done the paperwork with a consultant. awhile ago I asked the consultant can i bring my wife to Canada to wait while the papers are getting finalized and if they weren't finished on time can my wife extend her visa, the consultant said yes she can extend it. I sent my paperwork July 2013 and i already passed first stage and i was hoping to bring my Japanese wife to Canada this December and wait with me the distance is really hard for us both. I recently asked the consultant about it again and they told me i cannot extend it because we did an outland application that its only for inland application you can extend it. Also, would it be okay if I did bring her to Canada and wait with me while the papers are getting processed? would they give her problems at the airport? any information would be very helpful thanks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Your consultant is incorrect. You can apply to extend a visitor visa regardless. There is no automatic guarantee however that the extension will be granted. This is the same for inland UNLESS you submit an application for an open work permit included in the application, when implied status rules apply.

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
dpgc33 said:
Hello, I'm a little stressed out me and my wife filled out the outland application in July. we have done the paperwork with a consultant. awhile ago I asked the consultant can i bring my wife to Canada to wait while the papers are getting finalized and if they weren't finished on time can my wife extend her visa, the consultant said yes she can extend it. I sent my paperwork July 2013 and i already passed first stage and i was hoping to bring my Japanese wife to Canada this December and wait with me the distance is really hard for us both. I recently asked the consultant about it again and they told me i cannot extend it because we did an outland application that its only for inland application you can extend it. Also, would it be okay if I did bring her to Canada and wait with me while the papers are getting processed? would they give her problems at the airport? any information would be very helpful thanks.
Anyone can apply for a visitor visa extention. It's what we have done 2 times already and that's how we have legal status to live together in Canada during processing of the Outland application for PR.

dpgc33

Nov 1, 2013
thanks for both responses :)....I want to bring my wife this December and wait with me what can she say at the airport? is it better if she buys a roundtrip ticket?

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
dpgc33 said:
thanks for both responses :)....I want to bring my wife this December and wait with me what can she say at the airport? is it better if she buys a roundtrip ticket?
My wife just told them that she was here for a visit and where should would be staying. They did not ask about a return ticket.
Just be honest with them whatever they ask, but don't say anymore than you need to say. Most likely they will allow her to enter Canada as a visitor. Later on she can apply to extend her stay.

Chiqsherbet

Sep 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-March-2013
AOR Received.
13-April-2013 (Sponsor)
File Transfer...
22-April-2013
Med's Done....
25-March-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-October-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-02-2014, got DM&CoPR on 27-02-2014
LANDED..........
03-March-2014
Your wife can extend your visitor record by explaining she wants to stay with you until CIC decides about her PR application. In fact I did (I'm also Japanese).

As long as I know, if you cannot be with her in the way to Canada, it is the best way that she brings documents (copies of marriage certificate, fee's receipt, AOR and so on) that shows you guys have applied for PR in Canada in the family class. Also you can write a letter to the officer and give it to her just in case.
e.g.) she is my wife, she'd like to stay with me while waiting CIC's decision, I am waiting for her in the arrival area, so please call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX (your number) if there is anything else.

If the officer doesn't ask lots of things, she doesn't need to provide anything. These ideas are just precautions. I agree with chala; Just try to answer honestly what they ask, but don't say more than necessary.

Of course it depends on the officer, but he/she might issues a visitor record that's valid for over 6 months like one-year at the airport if your wife can explain the things well and they understand your wife's situation. Not sure but maybe.

Regarding the ticket, it's better that she gets a round-trip ticket because she may be not able to travel with the one-way ticket as a tourist. I mean she may be asked her status in Canada at a departure airport (Narita?), not Canadian Immigration, if she has only one-way ticket despite she is a tourist. Ask airline to make sure if she can travel with one-way ticket as a tourist but applied for PR.

mikemckell84

Feb 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2013
Doc's Request.
30-08-2013
AOR Received.
13-03-2013
File Transfer...
09-04-2013
Med's Request
Sent with application
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
My wife had no issues landing in Calgary, in fact the were very helpful and explained the process for extending her visa if needed. She didnt have a return ticket. She mentioned that she had sisters in the US that she would visit but they didnt care regardless.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dpgc33 said:
I recently asked the consultant about it again and they told me i cannot extend it because we did an outland application that its only for inland application you can extend it.
As others have said, this is completely wrong. Sorry to be blunt but your consultant sounds like an idiot. If he doesnt even know the basics of applying for visitor extensions, i would really question any other info he's told you about the PR application or process!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Rob_TO said:
As others have said, this is completely wrong. Sorry to be blunt but your consultant sounds like an idiot. If he doesnt even know the basics of applying for visitor extensions, i would really question any other info he's told you about the PR application or process!
Agreed! I find it very worrying about how much incorrect advice immigration consultants (and lawyers) provide to their clients. Seems like the ICCRC really needs to review their testing and registration requirements.

pisces1981

Star Member
Nov 3, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 7, 2013
File Transfer...
June 28, 2013
Med's Done....
May 25, 2013
Passport Req..
March 17, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
March 17, 2014
LANDED..........
April :)
I am new here and i would like to hear your thoughts about my case:

I submitted my PR application last June 2013 and was alreadt forwarded to Manila Visa Office last July
I have a multiple temporary resident visa to Canada that is valid in the next 4 years.
I have been to Canada as tourist 2 times (last one last July 2013) and goinf there again this Dec for holidays
I plan to go to Canada in March 2014 and wait there until I get my permanent resident visa

Question:
When the embassy requests for my passport, Can I be in Canada? I can just send mypassport back to Manila and ask my relatives in Manila to send it to the embassy then send it back to me to Canada once returned.

Appreciate your responses :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
pisces1981 said:
Question:
When the embassy requests for my passport, Can I be in Canada? I can just send mypassport back to Manila and ask my relatives in Manila to send it to the embassy then send it back to me to Canada once returned.
Yes, you can be in Canada and mail your passport to Manila.

dpgc33

Nov 1, 2013
I plan to bring my wife to canada in december to wait with me. I sent paperwork in july I have passed stage one already.....now what comes next? my wife is japanese will the manilla embassy ask for her passport?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
dpgc33 said:
I plan to bring my wife to canada in december to wait with me. I sent paperwork in july I have passed stage one already.....now what comes next? my wife is japanese will the manilla embassy ask for her passport?
No, they will not request her passport because she is visa-exempt.

ronalem

Sep 27, 2013
chala said:
Anyone can apply for a visitor visa extention. It's what we have done 2 times already and that's how we have legal status to live together in Canada during processing of the Outland application for PR.
hello. I am new to this forum. I would like to know if you applied for a tourist visa before you applied for outland PR. I would like my husband to visit/ be with me in Canada while waiting for his PR visa but I read in some posts that most likely he will be refused a tourist visa if he has a pending PR application. hope you can give some advice. thanks