+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my wife apply for OWP together with my application to extend my PGWP?

kristianvassilev

Jan 5, 2015
I recently got my PGWP (after almost a 200 day wait). Unfortunately my passport was expiring short after, so now that I got my new passport I have to re-apply for PGWP (extend it).
My wife came to Canada about 2 weeks ago on a visitor visa. I heard it's possible for her to apply for an OWP.

I know her OWP cannot be valid longer than my PGWP is valid and they are kinda tied together. So,

Can we do both applications at the same time - me extending my PGWP and her applying for an OWP?

Her visa expires in 6 months. And I've been working for about a year now full time. So may be our other option is applying for a permanent residence? But if we do that, does she still need to leave Canada when her visa expires? Or would she be here on an implied status?

Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

kristianvassilev said:
I recently got my PGWP (after almost a 200 day wait). Unfortunately my passport was expiring short after, so now that I got my new passport I have to re-apply for PGWP (extend it).
My wife came to Canada about 2 weeks ago on a visitor visa. I heard it's possible for her to apply for an OWP.

I know her OWP cannot be valid longer than my PGWP is valid and they are kinda tied together. So,

Can we do both applications at the same time - me extending my PGWP and her applying for an OWP?

Her visa expires in 6 months. And I've been working for about a year now full time. So may be our other option is applying for a permanent residence? But if we do that, does she still need to leave Canada when her visa expires? Or would she be here on an implied status?

Thank you.
1. No, as once you have your PGWP, before she can apply for a SWOP, you require proof that your job is NOC A, B or O
2. When her permit expires, she will have to apply for an extension as a visitor, if she is not issued a SWOP.

kristianvassilev

Jan 5, 2015
Thank you!

I forgot to mention, I already have a job in the required NOC as a web designer. So she should be able to apply together with my extension application?

Thanks again.